1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I think Bob N. will be along to answer this. If anyone knows it is him.
CaptMax

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
The short answer is yes. Bob Naess provides a service where he mills the Vickers .303 lock extractor to accept the 7.62X54R cartridge, grinds and profiles the .303 feed block a little, and has a machinist thread the end of a 7.62X54R Finnish or Russian Maxim barrel and modify the breech area to fit into a Vickers. It is an elegant solution and I had Bob do it for me a few years ago. He has done many of these conversions.

I believe that BarrelXchange (Troy) also does a similar and less expensive conversion but instead of using a Maxim barrel he reams the standard Vickers .303 barrel to 7.62X54R.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The short answer is yes. Bob Naess provides a service where he mills the Vickers .303 lock extractor to accept the 7.62X54R cartridge, grinds and profiles the .303 feed block a little, and has a machinist thread the end of a 7.62X54R Finnish or Russian Maxim barrel and modify the breech area to fit into a Vickers. It is an elegant solution and I had Bob do it for me a few years ago. He has done many of these conversions.

I believe that BarrelXchange (Troy) also does a similar and less expensive conversion but instead of using a Maxim barrel he reams the standard Vickers .303 barrel to 7.62X54R.
Couple additions to the above, thanks Max and Redroth. The trunnions on the side of the Russian and Finn Maxim barrel extension are a larger OD than the hole in the Vickers recoil plates and require turning down to the correct size to fit and moving them slightly. This is the operation that I have a machinist do for me which requires three or four axis CNC mill. The reduction of the muzzle to the correct OD for the Vickers is straight forward. Muzzle needs to be correctly threaded for booster cup. The tops and bottom of the barrel extension need to be milled off slightly as well.
Brief history of my experience. Some twenty or more years ago, I made a few 54r conversions for the Vickers by rechambering a standard .303 barrel to that caliber. The spent cases have a double neck as the 54r is a shorter case. Every once in a while, a case would separate from attaching, leaving the front half stuck in the chamber. Of course this required pulling and changing the barrel, a fierce nuisance while at a shoot due to having to empty the water, etc, etc. After this happened a number of times, I bought some of the recently imported Rusian Maxim 54r barrels from IMA and worked them down to fit the Vickers. No more separated cases. As time went by, I found that the Finn made 54r barrels are exceptional in durability and finish, so I started using them. The Russian made barrels can be very poor in durability due to the use of scrap metal in steel production during the war. The Finn barrels are far superior and require the same alteration to fit the Vickers. Of course, word got out and the Finn barrels have become very expensive due to popularity for Maxim use and conversions. Converting Russian made barrels can be cost effective, since they are cheaper, if you can do the trunnion work yourself. If not, the Finn barrels wil last a lot longer for the same conversion cost.
Since I make the conversions for sale, I can't just rechambered .303 barrels which have the risk of separating cases, an inconvenience that my customers will not tolerate. So, I only convert Finn made barrels for the conversions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts