1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me that the biggest, most momentous choice of our lives is the one that none of us get to make. I'm talking about the decision to be here, to be alive. Now before we digress into the choice of leaving this life, a subject best suited for handwritten notes left on the bed stand, let's investigate the initial premise. Simply put, we all arrive here screaming, crying and covered in goo, without prior consultation. Or so it appears. If in fact we were part of the decision to be cognizant, the memory of that process has been completely wiped from our consciousness. But what if it were retrievable? What if we could become aware of the primary decision to live, the fateful choice to participate in the world of time, energy and form? Wouldn't that improve our daily condition? No matter how difficult and confusing life was, we would always be clear on one thing, "I asked to be here. This is my choice." Of course, there's another option to consider. We are here against our will. The unending cycle of birth, life and death is a sentence. We are souls in prison. But that grim, Matrix-like scenario falls apart the minute you ask how he'll on earth could possibly include gelato.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Eh, those with diabetes can see how gelato fits in the picture.:confused:

·
11,848 Posts
I one read a line for a hou prism writer that referred to our origins as "the accident of birth"

One has no choice what stock they come from or who their family will be, much less the location, time, or socio economic status. We all do the best with what we've got. And enjoy a damned fine gelato!

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
I one read a line for a hou prism writer that referred to our origins as "the accident of birth"

One has no choice what stock they come from or who their family will be, much less the location, time, or socio economic status. We all do the best with what we've got. And enjoy a damned fine gelato!
Sans the gelato reference, Rory, this very premise plays a part in more than one Gilbert and Sullivan opera. Plots complicated with class distinction were a favorite of W. S. Gilbert. While they naturally set "The Gondoliers" in Venice, and it does make fun with birth and class distinction- not to mention babies switched at birth and the resulting confusion of identities 20 years later- there is, sadly, not a single bit of dialog respecting the joys of gelato!

But this example makes the case, from HMS Pinafore. Sir Joseph Porter, First Lord of the Admiralty, and Ship's Captain, Corcoran:

Sir Joseph. You’ve a remarkably fine crew, Captain Corcoran.
Capt. It is a fine crew, Sir Joseph.
Sir Joseph (examining a very small midshipman). A British sailor is a splendid fellow, Captain Corcoran.
Capt. A splendid fellow indeed, Sir Joseph.
Sir Joseph. I hope you treat your crew kindly, Captain Corcoran.
Capt. Indeed I hope so, Sir Joseph.
Sir Joseph. Never forget that they are the bulwarks of England’s greatness, Captain Corcoran.
Capt. So I have always considered them, Sir Joseph.
Sir Joseph. No bullying, I trust – no strong language of any kind, eh?
Capt. Oh, never, Sir Joseph.
Sir Joseph. What, never?
Capt. Well, hardly ever, Sir Joseph. They are an excellent crew, and do their work thoroughly without it.
Sir Joseph. Don’t patronise them, sir – pray, don’t patronise them.
Capt. Certainly not, Sir Joseph.
Sir Joseph. That you are their captain is an accident of birth. I cannot permit these noble fellows to be patronized because an accident of birth has placed you above them and them below you.
Capt. I am the last person to insult a British sailor, Sir Joseph.
Sir Joseph. You are the last person who did, Captain Corcoran.

Sorry, guys, my theater background (and many years with these operas) made me do it!

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Just as there are "First World Problems," there are also "First World Issues." Both indicate that waaaay too many people have waaaay too much time on their hands. What kind of society even bothers to consider issues such as trans-gender bathrooms?

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Just as there are "First World Problems," there are also "First World Issues." Both indicate that waaaay too many people have waaaay too much time on their hands. What kind of society even bothers to consider issues such as trans-gender bathrooms?
I saw my first, and I hope last gender confused restroom at the new Cabela's here in Portland, Or.
A very 'WTF?' moment.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
I'd expect to see one in a Mellow Mushroom or Abercrombie and Fitch, or a public school, but Cabela's?

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I was surprised to see "any" gender restrooms in Canada about 50 years ago, but, then again, who gives a ***k?

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
961 Posts
To continue with the thread jack, from a survey I received:

survey question.JPG

WRT topic, Gelato is just the half of it!!

In the end, it matters not. Play the game, ride the ride, contribute more than you consume and all shall be well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts