1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me the OAL of an MG34 receiver, from the rear flat to the front flat (not to the end of the barrel shroud stud)?

I just picked up an MG34 parts set at a public auction (of all places) and it came with a one-cut receiver. I'd like to know how much welding might be required to get it back together. It looks to me like it was cut with a cut-off disk.I don't know if the two pieces are from the same weapon, but I would bet they are. The cut seems to match up as does the finish. I found one comment on line that said the AOL was 33 centimeters, but when you measure the two pieces I have separately and add the two measurements, it comes to 33 centimeters (12.99 inches) which doesn't account for the material removed from the cut (which could mean it's from two separate weapons, I guess).

Also - does anyone know if anybody is welding these and what the going rate is?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
IIRC the OAL is 12.98 or 12.99"

Does the cut match up on both pieces? If not you'll lose some when you square up; if a cutoff wheel was used you'll have to clean them up and square off anyway.

Pirate has a thread on reweld, but there's a better one on CalGuns somewhere. Do a Google search.

Don't know who's doing semi welds right now.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IIRC the OAL is 12.98 or 12.99"

Does the cut match up on both pieces? If not you'll lose some when you square up; if a cutoff wheel was used you'll have to clean them up and square off anyway.

Pirate has a thread on reweld, but there's a better one on CalGuns somewhere. Do a Google search.

Don't know who's doing semi welds right now.

Thanks for the response. The cut matches almost perfectly on one side, but not so much on the other. I figured the difference was because it looks like whoever cut it was pushing the pieces apart as it cut. Based on your 12.98/99, which is the only measurement I have found, they can't be from the same weapon because both pieces together come to 33 cm which is 12.99 inches, if from the same weapon they would have to be shorter to account for the cut. I guess that's a plus when it comes to squaring off.

I saw the CalGuns build tutorial - that is the "Kiwi" fellow who is doing a Vickers build right now. I can email him and Stan project guns and see what they would charge to weld her up. The two pieces match all other respects right down to some slight marring from the vise it was locked in when cut. It's a fairly straight cut, too. As finicky as I hear these re-welds can be I think it would be best to pay a professional to do it. I have some welding skills, but from what I have read, due to the tolerances on these receivers, it would probably be faster and cheaper in the long run to have someone with experience with them work on it. At least that part of it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Put your topcover on pinned to the front piece & then put the cut back half tight against the cut from the front & see where your topcover latch meets up with the back of the receiver! That should give you some idea of where your at! Hth! Brian!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Put your topcover on pinned to the front piece & then put the cut back half tight against the cut from the front & see where your topcover latch meets up with the back of the receiver! That should give you some idea of where your at! Hth! Brian!
Your suggestion is brilliant in its simplicity and in its "instant feedback" it will give on fit. I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't think of that myself. Thanks!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
33 cm is the correct length, I would assume it is both pieces of the same receiver if the color and markings match
I'm having my doubts, but it isn't a big concern. the pieces, measured form the short end, are 290 millimeters = 29.9 centimeters, the "long" side of the spec. I would think it would be shorter to account for the blade thickness of what it was cut with. But that's OK because it will give me a little more material to work with when I square it up and a narrower gap to weld up. But it matches finish color-wise, marking-wise, condition -wise, and on one side the cut matches up almost perfectly, on the other pretty close. I kind of scratch my head over it, but at the end of the day it really not an issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts