1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I usually get about 4-5 rounds off before I get a failure to fire. Charge it, pull the trigger and Ill get 4 or 5 more.
This is less likely a result of your build skill or even stacking tolerances than TNW's design. Your experience is common to many, if not a majority, of semi-auto MG34 owners. I attended a re-enactment some years ago, and three-fourths of the TNW semis exhibited this same problem, so it's not just home builds.

Though innovative, the TNW design isn't robust. I mean, it relies on a little ring to be flipped by an interference plate driven by a tiny spring. It's not particularly positive engagement, as compared to a standard hammer. I'd LOVE to see a design with a hammer; while I've not asked Brian at BRP, I presume he had looked into this prior to to his XM34 (or whatever it is). There simply is insufficient space in the grip for a AR15 hammer, and the bolt's firing location makes such a design, how to say, not aligned.

The befit too of the TNW design is that it's ATF approved; and of course you can order the "rough casting" parts rather than brew your own. So everyone uses what's available, despite the recurring failures, and like Scott are almost satisfied to have an incredible piece of history.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bought one of Abominog’s jigs, they are excellent quality, already have my receiver set up and hopefully I’ll have it complete by the end of the year.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Bought one of Abominog’s jigs, they are excellent quality, already have my receiver set up and hopefully I’ll have it complete by the end of the year.
Thanks for the great feedback! Not that I can take credit for the quality and precision, I owe that to a couple CAD CAM machinists.

·
Registered
14 Posts
But you can take credit for the excellent packaging and shipping.

Regardless I suggest Grains_of_Freedom or anyone else pick it up if interested in welding the 34 along with finding project guns build, if you can’t find an active link grab the old link that is floating around a dozen forums and put it in the wayback machine (Wayback Machine)

And it’s been stated already but avoid the 80% unless you intend to use it for a display. But even then it’s overpriced for that use.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I need to start digging and see if I have it. I have a personal printed copy. Used to be posted on the mg42 website before crash. I'll start looking. Again.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker

·
Registered
14 Posts
I need to start digging and see if I have it. I have a personal printed copy. Used to be posted on the mg42 website before crash. I'll start looking. Again.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker
I was wondering what happened to mg42.us it seems to be back up but my account seems deleted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I found the project guns MG 34 receiver and bolt tutorials on the wayback machine. Unfortunately only the link to the tutorial works. All the information and pictures are gone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I found the project guns MG 34 receiver and bolt tutorials on the wayback machine. Unfortunately only the link to the tutorial works. All the information and pictures are gone.
Don’t really know how to describe it but there’s a way to go to certain logs and they will have the info and pictures

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Well done. May I suggest that everyone interested Print a copy or make a pdf of it and save it.
Stan did an outstanding job of sharing his early work with everyone. Thanks Stan.
Thanks GOF for going the extra mile for finding this and then sharing this.
I'm thinking that I need to start digging out a lot of mg34 receiver pieces and getting them up for sale.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Okay question for those of you knowledgeable and/or owners of an MG 34s. I'm cleaning up my receiver pieces and I noticed something odd about the back end on mine, there's an additional area drilled out about the 8:00 position that lines up perfectly with the barrel buffer rod. It goes all the way forward to the back of the aft mount pin. The Barrel buffer rod hole as best I can tell stops at it normal spot. Attached is an image from GB of what the area typically looks like for reference. Any ideas as to why it might be there or anybody else have one? I'm not concerned about it other than it's making that area a bit more challenging to weld as it makes the shelf the bolt slides along thinner than normal in that spot.

·
Registered
593 Posts
My rear end is the same, got out of a large tub from TNW at KCR a couple years back..

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
That is a very early, pre-production reciever with the barrel return hole drilled all the way through. If all your receiver pieces are like this it’s worth a good chunk of change to the right collector.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That is a very early, pre-production reciever with the barrel return hole drilled all the way through. If all your receiver pieces are like this it’s worth a good chunk of change to the right collector.
Unfortunately no. I've prepped my pieces for welding and I dug a little deeper in that area ust to see if it had been filled in but it was solid. I ended up just filling in the end of the hole where the two pieces are going to weld together. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Would need to do some digging. Most of the early mg34 receivers were selective five control. Extra slot ect. not sure if this is part of it or not. Look for an extra slot on bottom. I'll try to dig one or info out. Right now looking for a .308 BA trunnion so will add this to the search for list. Found the USGI 30.06 BA trunnions just not the .308. A searching I shall go, a searching I shall go. Where's Frankie when you need him.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’ve welded up 3 about to do my fourth, I made a jig like Stan had and it works perfect. I preheated the receiver in the oven then went at it with my tig. I didnt care about blueing it I’d rather a safe fireable gun so I use SS filler as the receiver is grey iron. I had no fit issue and the TNW trigger worked out of the box ( be aware the pull is awful needs a lot of polishing to get it better). I have only shot 200-300 rounds out of each and had to play with the booster size on one to get it to run well. I have found these easier than a Bren, to get it right it’s all about jigging it up well.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts