1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what I think is a complete, new .308 set up for MG 42. Feed tray, top cover & barrels......is this all??? I had never thought I would use it as I have tons of surplus 8mm. I am going to use the 8mm in my MG 08s as that is the only caliber I have for them. I put my Vickers back to .303 after I found a treasure trove of belted .303 here.

Any advise on the .308........anything to avoid or ?????

PJH

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Sometimes the booster cone used with the WWII 7.92 setup has an exit hole is too large to reliably function the action in .308 and if so get an MG3 one piece booster/flash-hider.
Did you get the MG3 parts or MG1? MG3 topcover has a "hold-open" hinge that keeps the topcover open, and the feed tray has a belt box bracket integral to it. These are the best for .308.
Just a precaution: take your bolt and .308 barrel,which is most likely Steyr made, and push the rollers into the bolthead so they are fully retracted and insert it into the barrel extension and push the body so the rollers move out into lockup. With the rollers in full lockup, look at the boltface breech interface and make sure there is a slight gap between the bolt face and breech face. If the rollers resist going into lockup or resist retracting to release the bolt head, choose another barrel. It isn't common but .308 Steyr barrels in use with WWII 7.92 bolt heads can have too tight lockup and can get solidly stuck together. I have had to separate at least six events of this type for customers, including one that was REALLY stuck.
Rollers should move in and out of lockup in the barrel extension with no resistance. This assuming that the bolt catch in the bolt body is Not the type with the spring loaded plunger on one end. The spring loaded plunge type can be assembled to the bolt so that there is constant spring pressure on the roller wedge. Most likely your bolt has the symmetrical non-plunger type of bolt catch, so this will not be an issue.
Never shoot your 42 without the bolt catch installed in the body regardless of caliber.
Have you had your barrel recuparator springs renewed??? If not contact me by phone or e-mail.
All I can think of at the moment......

Bob Naess

out of your gun, push the rollers in and insert it into the barrel extension

·
Registered
233 Posts
As others have said there is a difference in the booster and bushing. Other thing to consider is depending on which top cover and feed pawl determines which belts it will accept. The MG3 cover and pawl will feed disintegrating and continuous.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Mg-3/42

I have a baggy the conversion parts came in that is plainly marked MG-3.....All of these pieces appear to be new. There are some belts still sealed in another baggy. The new WW 2 bolt passes the above mentioned barrel/bolt "bench" test. Have 4 barrels, 3 are blued, one is parked, none have any distinctive markings as to mfgrer. There is a plastic drum too, still sealed, dated 1997. Bob put new re-cup springs in both my guns some time in the distant past!!! One has virtually no miles on, the other perhaps 4000.

I dont see anything different about the feed tray except the length of the area that locates the cartridge fore & aft. The outer left side looks just like the regular MG 42 one, has fore & aft short extensions to attach the metal drums of WW 2 era. I have a couple of boosters,,,,,,,,,going to measure them now. Both loose ones are .455 US.......suspect all I have are all that size. Does BRP have the required .308 size one???

PJH

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I have a baggy the conversion parts came in that is plainly marked MG-3.....All of these pieces appear to be new. There are some belts still sealed in another baggy. The new WW 2 bolt passes the above mentioned barrel/bolt "bench" test. Have 4 barrels, 3 are blued, one is parked, none have any distinctive markings as to mfgrer. There is a plastic drum too, still sealed, dated 1997. Bob put new re-cup springs in both my guns some time in the distant past!!! One has virtually no miles on, the other perhaps 4000.

I dont see anything different about the feed tray except the length of the area that locates the cartridge fore & aft. The outer left side looks just like the regular MG 42 one, has fore & aft short extensions to attach the metal drums of WW 2 era. I have a couple of boosters,,,,,,,,,going to measure them now. Both loose ones are .355 US.......suspect all I have are all that size. Does BRP have the required .308 size one???

PJH
PJ

I would put the parts in and try them first before you start looking for the booster. If you just want to have it in hand, try RTG Parts.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
PJ: as Troy suggests, assemble the .308 parts, use the .308 belts and try it out. Generally the 7.92 belts are tighter holding the cartridges in the links which can be a problem.
With what you have the gun should run fine.

Bob Naes

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OOOOps

I goofed the booster hole measurement...........455 not .355. I will assemble the whole thing & take both guns to the farm. Hopefully I can round up another shooter for an afternoon...............

PJH

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
".......another shooter........"

Absolutely amazing to me how many guys want me to call them ".....next time.......", when I call, they just cant make it, ".....sister-in-laws aunts cat has runny eyes..."....."....neighbors uncles oldest child looks sick....".....".....have to pull weeds in the driveway......."....".....my show is on now........"....& etc..

PJH

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Absolutely amazing to me how many guys want me to call them ".....next time.......", when I call, they just cant make it, ".....sister-in-laws aunts cat has runny eyes..."....."....neighbors uncles oldest child looks sick....".....".....have to pull weeds in the driveway......."....".....my show is on now........"....& etc..

PJH
Move closer and I'll be your second favorite pest next to Rory.
"Geez! Doesn't that guy have a HOME???"

LOL!! :tongue:

·
Registered
233 Posts

PJH
I feel your pain, I'm not sure when I transitioned from average shooter to 'that crazy vet with all the big ass guns' but ever since then all I hear is 'Man I really want to shoot that!' next time of course.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts