1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all, I'm thinning the herd of stuff I'm not going to need, and I'm going to be letting a few mg08/15 drum mags leave the shed to a new home. I bought these so long ago I have no idea what they are going for. Any pointers? Thanks all!

Automotive tire Wood Gas Font Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Font
Automotive tire Tread Tire Wood Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Me too 😀

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
The last one I saw go on Gunbroker went for around 800-900 and it was in very nice shape with original paint. Not sure what they bring other places.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Are you sure those aren’t repos? I could be wrong but paint looks like the repo ones I’ve seen.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
The one you have pictured looks like a repaint. Not a repro, I don't think. I would need to see the side it connects to the on.

For normal drums I would say on average $800-$900. However sometimes half that, sometimes a few hundred more. In this condition, probably less being a repaint.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Im not going to call anyone out, but Im seeing a lot of fishing here lately. A guy honestly asks 'whats this worth' and before anyone can chime in, a bunch of new guys say "Ill buy it if your price is right'. If you are offering to buy it,you know what its worth. Stop trying to catch a steal and start helping a board member out. Thats what we do here.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you’re pointing a finger at me - please don’t. I have never owned one, have zero idea what they are worth, only what I can afford. I think quite a few guys think the same way. I just might want one to stick on a Turkish Vickers (hence my question about .303).
that’s not fishing, just raising a hand.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Im not going to call anyone out, but Im seeing a lot of fishing here lately. A guy honestly asks 'whats this worth' and before anyone can chime in, a bunch of new guys say "Ill buy it if your price is right'. If you are offering to buy it,you know what its worth. Stop trying to catch a steal and start helping a board member out. Thats what we do here.
I frankly disagree with your whole idea. When did this board become an appraisal service? Not to insult the OP in anyway, but I am sure he could go to other sources and price this with a little effort like most of us do. I don't post asking for pricing whenever I have something on the level of MG08/15 drum, I spend a bit of time and look it up myself. As you can see, I offered my opinion and did NOT offer to buy it and I have no problem helping for a guy on the forum since 2007 like Panzerbob who I have talked to before. However I don't think we should be telling anyone besides long time members what anything is worth. I think this is unfair for newer people who did not have a chance to buy something cheap. Why are we offering free appraisal service that will likely cost newer members more money? What is wrong with them getting a good deal if the OP is also happy with the price? If someone offers you an unpriced item, do you tell them its worth more and pay full price? I don't get this. I just think its wrong sometimes when an old guy who paid $1 for something finds out from a middle age guy that its now worth $10 because of horrible laws enacted by older generations and have some new kid out of college having to scrape together $10 for it when he could have gotten it for $6. Who needs the money more, these days, mostly like the young guy! Why does the older generation get a huge profit and the younger generation get to only have 1/10th the collection because of rules made years before he was born that the older generation is now benefitting from. Now everyone is in their own case but in general I totally disagree with your statement. IMO, the price should be left to the seller and the buyer and we don't need to get in the middle of that. How about this, if you want us to offer our appraisal service you must first become a premium member of the forum, so the forum benefits from it! Thats my suggestion and that is actually fair to all!

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I frankly disagree with your whole idea. When did this board become an appraisal service? Not to insult the OP in anyway, but I am sure he could go to other sources and price this with a little effort like most of us do. I don't post asking for pricing whenever I have something on the level of MG08/15 drum, I spend a bit of time and look it up myself. As you can see, I offered my opinion and did NOT offer to buy it and I have no problem helping for a guy on the forum since 2007 like Panzerbob who I have talked to before. However I don't think we should be telling anyone besides long time members what anything is worth. I think this is unfair for newer people who did not have a chance to buy something cheap. Why are we offering free appraisal service that will likely cost newer members more money? What is wrong with them getting a good deal if the OP is also happy with the price? If someone offers you an unpriced item, do you tell them its worth more and pay full price? I don't get this. I just think its wrong sometimes when an old guy who paid $1 for something finds out from a middle age guy that its now worth $10 because of horrible laws enacted by older generations and have some new kid out of college having to scrape together $10 for it when he could have gotten it for $6. Who needs the money more, these days, mostly like the young guy! Why does the older generation get a huge profit and the younger generation get to only have 1/10th the collection because of rules made years before he was born that the older generation is now benefitting from. Now everyone is in their own case but in general I totally disagree with your statement. IMO, the price should be left to the seller and the buyer and we don't need to get in the middle of that. How about this, if you want us to offer our appraisal service you must first become a premium member of the forum, so the forum benefits from it! Thats my suggestion and that is actually fair to all!
I dont think there is anything wrong with guys asking for general values here. The older folks here give honest assessments and helps younger collectors gauge their own interests and budgets.
I also dont think there's anything wrong with old timers selling stuff under value to help new guys start collecting. My point was, when someone asks 'whats this worth' and someone swoops in saying 'Ill buy it' without so much as even offering a value, they arent really contributing to the original intent of the thread.

I admit I came off a little crass in assuming the guys just saying 'Ill buy it' were trying to lowball or weasel themselves a deal before the market value was established. I can see how my wording was a bit aggressive, apologies to anybody I offended.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I dont think there is anything wrong with guys asking for general values here. The older folks here give honest assessments and helps younger collectors gauge their own interests and budgets.
I also dont think there's anything wrong with old timers selling stuff under value to help new guys start collecting. My point was, when someone asks 'whats this worth' and someone swoops in saying 'Ill buy it' without so much as even offering a value, they arent really contributing to the original intent of the thread.

I admit I came off a little crass in assuming the guys just saying 'Ill buy it' were trying to lowball or weasel themselves a deal before the market value was established. I can see how my wording was a bit aggressive, apologies to anybody I offended.

I think thats fair. But I don't have any issues with people being excited to try and buy something. Its one thing to say "I am interested, please let me know how much you want for it" and the guy who say I will buy it, I will give you $100 for it even if I think its worth less than that" when he knows its worth a $1k. There is a way to do things for sure. I am not wordsmith either and I had nothing to be offended about.

To the general point, I don't know how much of a fan I am of when some FNG posts about a value and we offer up pricing. Why do we do that? Now a ole timer like Panzer Bob... sure we can help out a guy who has been around. I see so often people ask on forums and people offer up the value they see things "for sale" for and not selling for and it screws with a lot of deals in the future. I just think its a lot better for people to look around and come up with a price they are happy with and offer it for that.

I am there with you Rory! If I needed a MG08/15 drum, I would want it for $350 or less! BUT I will go up to $350.01 just to beat Rory out of it! :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
IMA had some repros made up in India and they look top notch. The stamping is excellent and the drums fit the mount really well. They are marked like the originals too but for some reason they made the reel just a little too narrow to fit live ammo into. Not sure if it was a mistake or intentional. They look and fit good but won't work. I'll try to get a pic of a repro compared to an original.

Frank

1 - 20 of 26 Posts