1919 A4 Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,378 Posts
IMA had some repros made up in India and they look top notch. The stamping is excellent and the drums fit the mount really well. They are marked like the originals too but for some reason they made the reel just a little too narrow to fit live ammo into. Not sure if it was a mistake or intentional. They look and fit good but won't work. I'll try to get a pic of a repro compared to an original.

Frank
Has anyone tried these with the new production Romy 8mm? The OAL is shorter than the 70's Romy ammo so it may fit but then there is the whole deal to see if it will actually work in the gun.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just compared my original drum with the IMA repro and they're very very similar. The problem is the reel which measures 3.070 from plate to plate. The original is 3.260 so a little more than .200". I'm pretty sure the new ammo is not that much shorter but its worth a check.
Watch Motor vehicle Font Jewellery Auto part

The repro is on the left and has a fancy type paint job. The original is on the right with its original paint. I didn't take pics of the other side because it takes up too much space....they look the same pretty much.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Door Plumbing fixture

Sorry for the huge pics....I can't resize on this machine. The far reel is the repro and you can see how the round won't fit. The near one shows the round nicely sitting on the hub.

The repro reel won't fit the original drum and vice versa though the bearings are closer than you'd think. Its easy to tell the repro, just measure the reel and make sure its at least 3.26" across the hub.
Hope that helps.

Frank

·
Premium Member
7,378 Posts
Well just trying to think outside the box on those but now we all know. I do not have a Maxim although for years Dolf has tried to convince me that I NEED one but I have stuck my ground. Back to the OP did he ever check the reel to see if it was a repaint or repro?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Dennis at MMC is just about finished with building my MG08/15 so I certainly appreciate this heads up. Just got the bipod from Aren D. yesterday (advertized on here a few days back)

ANYWAY, I am really in the hunt for a drum. Got to get this new toy to the range as soon as winter breaks.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part

Frank did some great pictures. I would add two small things. First, none of the repros have the marking at the bottom of the drum. Only original I have seen have that but not all original have it. But if you can see it, you have an original. Second the easy was for me to tell is the bracket that attaches to the drum hanger. The originals are stamped or machined but the rivet work is good. I have seen a repro have a stamped bracket like this first picture below, so all of them are original. The IMA repros have holes that are larger than the rivet heads. Thats a dead giveaway. Now there may be some repros out of France that are a bit better on the rivet work but you can still see them I think. The German ones were near perfect. I also think they have the drum reel spacing correct on the ones from France so they are harder to tell. Here is a link to those repros: https://aassniper98.com/en/mg-0815/4472-tambour-mg0815.html

Wood Art Cap Beige Headgear
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Rectangle Machine

Helmet Toy Bag Art Camouflage
Sleeve Bag Fashion accessory Font Carmine

21 - 26 of 26 Posts