1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
M G barrels

Was trying to see if some of you could give me prices on them for various conditions. I'd like to know realistically what they should go for.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Keep in mind that condition is not guaranteed by price. If you buy, ask that you get a three day inspection privilege and return if not satisfied.
Prices seeme to run about $150 on up with excellent bore and rifling bringing a premium at the top values. No more can be imported wihtout three bore sized holes evenly spaced from mulzzle to breech and often a slot milled from the breech to past the middle of the barrel.
FWIW

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, my situation is that I have an opportunity to buy a approx 15 barrels. I told the seller I would like to know the condition of them and we could go from there. I'm looking to get a reasonable price since I am buying in bulk and I'm trying to see what terrible to amazing barrels would bring so I know what a reasonable offer would be.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ok, my situation is that I have an opportunity to buy a approx 15 barrels. I told the seller I would like to know the condition of them and we could go from there. I'm looking to get a reasonable price since I am buying in bulk and I'm trying to see what terrible to amazing barrels would bring so I know what a reasonable offer would be.
I'd be interested in a few depending on price/condition.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not going to start pre-selling these, I want to have them in hand so I can give an accurate description before I start talking a price on them. I will post a thread later when I have an exact number but I'm not going to reserve any for anyone just yet.

This is purely a looking for price points thread

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Does anyone know if Mg08 barrels were made in a caliber other than 8mm?
I am all but certain all MG08s, by definition are German Imperial and so all 8mm. They were not a commercially sold gun like the 1909. The Turks are really the only other ones that had them and they were in 8mm. That said post WWI they got sent out to many countries that could have made or remade their own barrels for them. I even have some BSW made MG08 Barrels. However if its a Imperial marked barrel, unless screwed with post WWI, it should be 8mm I think.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Does anyone know if Mg08 barrels were made in a caliber other than 8mm?

Not the MG08 specifically, but various countries used models of earlier and later Maxims in their own issue calibers. Most Maxim barrels of different calibers, with the exception of the 7.62x54r, can be used in an MG08 with the 08 lock, but there are very few of these barrels in the US, so it is moot. Any caliber that is not a Mauser derivative or style that has a rim, for instance, will not fit the MG08 lock extractor face.
For instance the 54r round requires use of the 1910 lock face for a barrel in that caliber.
Hope this helps,......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts