1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a mg08 water jacket, bottom plate and side plate for sale. The left plate has been demilled and th right side plate is intact. Is that the correct demil? im guessing its an old demil. Will the right side plate also need to be demilled to make it OK to buy?

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I am sure Bob will weigh in soon but on the MG08 and 08/15s it was the left side plate. When the 1910s started coming into the country they decided it was the right plate which has confused everyone in typical ATF fashion. You should be fine.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
About four or five years ago, ATF stupidly changed the reg about which Maxim plate is controlled, declaring the right plate the controlled part after many decades of the left plate being controlled. Prior to the change in regs, unregistered MG08s that had been "destroyed" prior to the change had the left plate removed and cut up. These kits show up now and then with the right plate intact and no left plate or parts of the left plate remainiing. Also, people with unregistered MG08s that don't know about the reg change, hear that the left plate needs to be destroyed, so they do that.
If you buy the kit and want it to comply with current regs, the right plate will have to be removed and cut into four pieces.
You don't say what you want to do with the parts, and you will have to decide if buying the remains of an 08 with the right plate constitutes a legal threat to you. In the big picture, a person having an unregistered right MG08 sideplate is of no interest to ATF unless you have attracted their attention for far, far more serious violations. FWIW

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of buying it to resell it. I have an almost complete 08/15 kit, but no other 08 parts. The price is very reasonable. im guessing it would be better to sell here rather than putting it on GB?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts