1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"The Kid" and I are going on a road trip Saturday to inspect an MG08 parts kit...

Very expensive kit. I don't know much about these. Did find pics of Capt Max's kit for sale. I'll be sure to take that along.

Anyone have advice on what to look for? What to avoid?

He has a reported Russian Maxim also. As far as I know, these are not all that rare. Correct? What should i look for here? I know I won't get a pass from my manager to buy both, so this one would be a back up.

Karl

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
"The Kid" and I are going on a road trip Saturday to inspect an MG08 parts kit...

Very expensive kit. I don't know much about these. Did find pics of Capt Max's kit for sale. I'll be sure to take that along.

Anyone have advice on what to look for? What to avoid?

He has a reported Russian Maxim also. As far as I know, these are not all that rare. Correct? What should i look for here? I know I won't get a pass from my manager to buy both, so this one would be a back up.

Karl
Karl,

What do you plan to do with these kits?

As far as Maxim parts kits... most people worry about the wrong items. The Money is in the feedblock, lock, fusee cover, booster and hose connector. Barrels, waterjackets, top covers and recoil plates are pretty cheap and easy to find. Avoid buying the "Shell".

What is "very" expensive? MG08 kits are not "very" expensive by my standards but I have bought many and sold a few.

Russian kits seem to be worth in the $2.5k+/- $500 range. They all tend to be complete and fairly typical. Complete MG08 kits are probably in the $3k-$4.25k Range depending on exactly what you have. However you drop a few parts off and you can easy be down to $2K. Matching numbers helps if they are all matching or at least the ones easy to see. I have seen a lot of people pay way to much and many get great deals! Just depends.

If you send me pictures I will give you my opinion. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My plans - build the kit myself. that's what I do.

I will most certainly take you up on your kind offer and send several pics

Karl

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Karl, condition and manufacturer is what I look for, as well as missing parts.
Very few will have a matching lock or barrel.
CaptMax

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
"Coltman" has been selling excellent 1910 Russian Maxim kits, wartime, for $2500, which is generally for what these kits have been selling recently. There is a fairly wide variety in the Russian kits depending on date and location of manufacture and what country had them during and after WWII.
MG08s are very uniform in manufacture and design from very early to very late with virtually no changes, so, unlike the 1910s, the kit you see will be the same as all others.
If you are paying a a premium for any reason, make sure all the parts are there. Have the owner assemble the gun so you can see that everything is included. Google might have a picture of the parts of an 08 laid out so you can match what should be there with the picture. There are not that many parts to the gun when field disassembled. FWIW

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Russian 1910 Maxims are still available, German MG08 are scarce. Big difference.
There are also more MG08/15 Maxims than there are MG08's. I believe the 08/15 is the most common NFA registered gun there is as so many were brought back after the war. Bob is right there are not too many parts, but Matt is correct that some parts get quite expensive. Boosters are a good example of this.
If you need pictures of what is in a complete parts kit check out the member "Uzi" thread on Maxims for sale. He has some good pictures posted there. If you need any specific pictures just ask and I can take some of my kit for you.
CaptMax

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the road trip drained the wallet for the foreseeable future. But it solved my biggest problem. I was starting to run out of challenging builds.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Well, the road trip drained the wallet for the foreseeable future. But it solved my biggest problem. I was starting to run out of challenging builds.
Good for you Karl, you now have enough to keep you busy all summer!! :thumbup:
Can you post some pictures of the 08 kit so we can see the details?
CaptMax

1 - 8 of 8 Posts