1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi , I have this zeiss scope , can be a MG08 scope ?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
That same letter K is also on the ZF12 sights, I used to know what it signified but i am old now and have forgotten. The dove tail looks like it is for the German panoramic sight mounts.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
That same letter K is also on the ZF12 sights, I used to know what it signified but i am old now and have forgotten. The dove tail looks like it is for the German panoramic sight mounts. I think it may be for a German Maxim gun or used by another Country for a German Maxim.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Information from two collectors in Europe -

"Have 2 of the same, even contacted the Zeiss historical department , they dont know much either.
They suspect its a late ww1 variant of the zf12. Looks a bit like the Swiss ones but these models are "straight".
Both of mine are "K" and '18 marked so; German army accepted and indeed late ww1 period."

"Me too I have 2 scopes made by Carl Zeiss, but one of mine is dated 1917…the other is 1918. For me no problems, they are Germans and ww1 period. There are many different models, variations depending on the manufacturer…"

Manufacture date - Feb 1918

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Information from two collectors in Europe -

"Have 2 of the same, even contacted the Zeiss historical department , they dont know much either.
They suspect its a late ww1 variant of the zf12. Looks a bit like the Swiss ones but these models are "straight".
Both of mine are "K" and '18 marked so; German army accepted and indeed late ww1 period."

"Me too I have 2 scopes made by Carl Zeiss, but one of mine is dated 1917…the other is 1918. For me no problems, they are Germans and ww1 period. There are many different models, variations depending on the manufacturer…"

Manufacture date - Feb 1918
I really appreciate this data
thank you

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I have one of these ZFs in the box. They are a variant of the MG08 Scope. They are kind of odd and boxy compared to the standard ones. The K mark means it was accepted by the German Military in WWI. Those without a K are post war. Here is a picture of most of the different ZF12s. I am missing one main variant and a few different manufacturers of the most common type on the right. There are 6 distinct variants that I know of with several sub variants of most of them. If you decide you would like to sell this, please email me at [email protected]

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Engineering

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Have just seen.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Details to follow. Matt nice examples! Time to let someone else buy 🙂
Mark

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have one of these ZFs in the box. They are a variant of the MG08 Scope. They are kind of odd and boxy compared to the standard ones. The K mark means it was accepted by the German Military in WWI. Those without a K are post war. Here is a picture of most of the different ZF12s. I am missing one main variant and a few different manufacturers of the most common type on the right. There are 6 distinct variants that I know of with several sub variants of most of them. If you decide you would like to sell this, please email me at [email protected]

View attachment 111140
Nice collection , many thanks for info

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
The K is on all WWI German optics and derived from the Prüfungskommission (G.P.K.) (Rifle Testing Commission). For optics it is simply Kommission approved/tested. So LOWERTANG are you selling?? 🙂
Mark

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Details to follow. Matt nice examples! Time to let someone else buy 🙂
Mark
Ha, if I have less ZF12s than you, its all yours! Honestly, how many do you own? I have 10.

P.S. Mark, any chance you know where there is a Hotchkiss 1914 Bolt I can buy?

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Ah that is lucky I only have 9 🙂 but not this pattern.
can you email the exact pattern/type of Hotchkiss bolt and I will email the European owners I know.
Mark

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Ah that is lucky I only have 9 🙂 but not this pattern.
can you email the exact pattern/type of Hotchkiss bolt and I will email the European owners I know.
Mark
Only 9! I figured you had more than 9 MG08s at this point! Ok, Give Mark first shot if you decide to sell it! :) There is one pattern I am missing and one pattern I have without a single bit of paint. I would like to get that last model. Of course the only one I know with one is David K. I don't think I have seen another.

Thanks Mark, email sent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts