1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Anyone out there have any diagrams or knowledge of the MG17? The WWI then WWII era German aviation machine gun. I located a box of parts labeled as such. Including belt feed mechanisms, bolt etc. If it helps I can post pics of what I have.
J

·
Registered
2,614 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Mustgraves volume on German Machine Guns has good information on the MG17s and is well worth having in your library.
There is a quad-MG17 on a cone mount in the Tojhus museum in Copenhagen that I have seen while working in that city in the mid-nineties. Quite a weapon!
The most useful part for these guns is the pistol grip which is probably impossible to find as it has always been. Virtually all of these are setup for remote firing.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys,
Thanks for the responses. Here ares one pictures of the parts. I found a picture online of the belt feed mechanism. I believe I also have the barrel shroud and many small pieces. I am not sure about the bolt or the piece with the bolt. any ideas?
Thanks,
Jesse

Brass Metal Auto part Cylinder Hardware accessory Auto part Brass Metal Hardware accessory Wood Brass Metal Plywood Door handle Door handle Metal Metal Brass Brass Metal Auto part Metal Brass Auto part Metal Cylinder Auto part Brass Automotive engine part Metal Gear Metal Auto part Brass Rim Product Metal Brass Copper Metal Brass Bronze Machine Machine tool

·
Registered
32 Posts
mg17

the mg 17 is a modifyed mg15 only difference is feed syn fcg and air cocking. the parts look like schwarzlose\

john baum has a cd on the mg17

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Gordie,
I will admit I am not sure on the bolt and the other large piece as I have not seen a schematic yet but I am almost 100% certain about the belt feed mechanism being for the MG17. I have owned a schwarzlose and while the feed mechanism looks similar, its not. I can't remember what the Schwarzlose bolt looked like though. It very well may be.
Thanks,
J

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Whoa! With all due respect, and to get this discussion back to reality, there is absolutely no similarity between the Mg17 and the Schwarzlose internals. They are completely different in design, mechanical function and use. The Mg17 design is a very close brother to the Mg15 as noted elsewhere in this thread, with the addition of push through link feed by a roller rather than a magazine. It is an excellent evolution of the MG15.
The Schwarzlose functions with an unlocked breech, the only rifle caliber MG with any success to do so, with beech opening delayed by a toggle that is at a mechanical disadvantage with respect to the axis of the bore. The Schwaezlose functions like the Vickers/Maxim, withdrawing the cartridge from the belt before insertion into the breech.
The MG15/17 are locked breech by means of rotating collar and interrupted threads locking the breech to the bolt during high pressure ignition period. The roller in the MG17 feeds the cartridge by means of a belt identical to the push-through MG34/42 belts, positioning it for chambering. The Mg15 should have been a belt fed, designed like the MG17!!
Again, Musgraves's volume, German Machine Guns has excellent schematics of the internals of the MG17.
FWIW

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks BMG17a1
I ordered a copy of Musgraves book. Should be here next week. Thats one I must have missed but looks like a good one. I fully agree with you about the difference between the two. My Schwarzlose, while nice and well built, did not have quite the same quality and tolerances as these parts. They are as tight and well made as any weapon parts I have run across. Like the difference between a gasoline and diesel engine. I would think that it would have jammed/gummed up easily from dirt/sand/burnt powder etc...
Also considering how widely used it was in aviation, i am a bit surprised at how little information there is available about it online. I found some information on it from a website provided by another member entitled "forgotten weapons"......seems appropriate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts