1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
I assume you are asking about the AA tripods? They are currently going for about $300, plus you will need an adaptor. The Lafette style are about $400+++ I picked one up for $375 from RoberBowman out of Gainesville FL but drove over and picked it up to save shipping.

·
Premium Member
6,911 Posts
MJ you may want to consider a Lafette from Robert Bowman as mentioned they are a nice platform and can be adjusted for comfortable shooting. I have seen the AA tripods going for anywhere in the 200-300 range and you still need the adapter. You will need an adapter for the Lafette as well but it is a nicer platform. Russ

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
I use an MG3 Ground Mount for my gun(s) and love the set up. It's nice to sit behind and be comfortable with these. I also made an adapter for mounting the 1919 easily, so it was a win-win for me. In case you want to see a picture.........

·
Registered
350 Posts
I use an MG3 Ground Mount for my gun(s) and love the set up. It's nice to sit behind and be comfortable with these. I also made an adapter for mounting the 1919 easily, so it was a win-win for me. In case you want to see a picture.........

Know the red plate SHOULD be removed for live fire right? Supposed to be on for blank firing.

Loved those tripods, owned 2 for my mg34 and 42. Both went with the guns when sold. Now that they seem alot harder to find and price seemed to double regret selling them. Just cumbersome to get to range.

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
Know the red plate SHOULD be removed for live fire right? Supposed to be on for blank firing.
No I was not aware of that requirement. I guess I spent a lot of time risking jail (or worse?) by shooting it that way. :D There used to be some discussion about what that was for, but I never did hear a reasonable answer. Can you explain what exactly the shield does in reference to blank fire? Inquiring minds would like to know. :)

Agreed - they are a bit heavy and cumbersome - but then so is the ZB37 tripod. :D

Loved those tripods, owned 2 for my mg34 and 42. Both went with the guns when sold. Now that they seem alot harder to find and price seemed to double regret selling them. Just cumbersome to get to range.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Basicly stiffens springs for blank use. Remove the plate gives that extra travel. (Read in the translated MG3 tripod manual that the red plate should be in place only for blank firing)

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
No I was not aware of that requirement. I guess I spent a lot of time risking jail (or worse?) by shooting it that way. :D There used to be some discussion about what that was for, but I never did hear a reasonable answer.
Our late friend Dan Bartha got on me for this same thing, when I posted this pic some years back. I took it off. However, I have found that certain dynamics don't work well, depending on the gun. I have been thinking about putting it back and experimenting a bit. Never was aware of any issues when shooting with the piece in place.

Note the first class adapter I have, courtesy of some guy in Wisconsin... :tongue:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Prob means nothing with a 1919 and won't damage anything. The mg34 and 42 the buttstock would "kiss" the rear bar that the t&e is attached to abf leave small marks. Once removed was enough travel to not hit ect.

·
Premium Member
6,911 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
My understanding is the red plate was was used to increase recoil when blank firing. They wanted the blank firing to mimic live fire as closely as possible when training, thus the plate deflector was adding in front of the springs on the lafette to increase the spring rate/recoil for the weaker inpulse of training ammo.

It won't hurt anything leaving it on, but it will run smoother using live rounds with it off. This is why they made it bright red because it's a training device meant to be removed if used in combat. The German lafette manual says to remove it for live ammo use.

If you take it off the springs will have more travel and less restistance.

Also as mentioned many times they took the buttstocks off the MG3 when vehicle and laffete mounted and installed the rubber thread protector. Mainly because over time without shoulder support the stock will rattle itself to death flopping around unsupported. They are pretty loose even when new. It won't hurt it for our use, but we aren't hammering thousands of FA rounds through them either. Over time it not good for it. I usually take mine off when using the lafette.

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
That's good information on the red plate. Thanks to all for posting their knowledge on the subject. :)

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
Our late friend Dan Bartha got on me for this same thing, when I posted this pic some years back. I took it off. However, I have found that certain dynamics don't work well, depending on the gun. I have been thinking about putting it back and experimenting a bit. Never was aware of any issues when shooting with the piece in place.

Note the first class adapter I have, courtesy of some guy in Wisconsin... :tongue:
Rollin I recognize that adapter! :D

If you PM me a shipping address for your new shop location, there are a couple of upgrade parts I'd like to send you. If you still use the adapter frequently they might come in handy.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
My understanding is the red plate was was used to increase recoil when blank firing. They wanted the blank firing to mimic live fire as closely as possible when training, thus the plate deflector was adding in front of the springs on the lafette to increase the spring rate/recoil for the weaker inpulse of training ammo.
It won't hurt anything leaving it on, but it will run smoother using live rounds with it off. This is why they made it bright red because it's a training device meant to be removed if used in combat. The German lafette manual says to remove it for live ammo use.
If you take it off the springs will have more travel and less resistance.
Stupid Question: How does one remove the "red plate"? Also, does anyone know where to get any parts for the MG3 tripod, in particular the trigger connecting components?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts