1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a particularly useful scope for a lafette tripod that doesn't cost two grand? So far the only thing I have found is the ZRAK M59 scope, which will mount to the dovetail but sideways.

I've got a semi M53 being built right now and I'm trying to decide if I should grab a tripod. I think the deciding factor would be the availability of a tripod mounted scope. Authenticity isn't my top priority. I would consider an MG3 tripod but it seems like all the scopes for those have dried up too. There ARE some NATO scope adapter mounts for the MG3 tripod, does anyone know if those can be adapted for a German/yugo tripod dovetail?

Are there any options for the German/Yugo lafette scope aside from the very expensive and collectible WWII German scopes?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
How do you plan to use the scope, as it was originally intended to be used or some sort of sniper setup?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I don't know of much that can help there. The M59 will fit as you talked about and as shown by master... however you are right, its not ideal being sideways. I have not bothered with it either. I have seen an original adapter to let you use a WWI ZF12 on the tripod however that sold for a LOT of money and I have never seen another. I am sure one could be made cheap enough.

As far as the MG3 mount, it "should" come with the scope in the box standard with the mount. Bother are very nice tripods, I have both.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys.
Are MG3 tripods still available? I feel like I missed the boat on them. Another option I am considering is having some sort of custom dovetail made at a machine shop to build my own scope mount. Being a semi auto, I’m not planning on conducting sweeping fire at a thousand yards, but I do think it would be fun to go to the range near me and throw down a 50lb tripod, a 25lb gun, then start using a scope to fire at 700 yards

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Bowman has some m53 stuff on sale this week. I ordered 2 tripods 3 AA extensions and 10 bolts. His laffette tripods have the scope mount too

MG 42 ACCESSORY SALE JANUARY 2021

DEAL OF THE WEEK!!! ENDS FRIDAY JANUARY 15TH AT NOON EST

MG 42/53 ACCESSORY BLOWOUT SALE !!
SEE VIDEO FOR MORE DETAILS!

MG 42/53 TRIPOD Reg. $799.95
This week only $495.95
+ UPS Shipping

MG 42/53 AMMO BELTS
Reg. $8.95 This week $7.95
Ships USPS Flat Rate $11.50

MG 42/53 AA EXTENSION FOR TRIPOD Was $204.95 This week $149.95 Ships USPS Flat Rate $22.10

MG 42/53 BOLTS 5 PACK SPECIAL $89.95 EACH
5 PACK $449.75 Ships USPS Flat Rate $16.05

MG42/53 LEATHER SLINGS
This week just $24.95 each
Ships USPS Flat Rate $11.50

MG42/53 AMMO DRUMS
Just $39.95 EACH Ships
USPS Flat Rate $11.50

EMAIL [email protected] FULL name, shipping address, email and phone number with your order so we can send you an invoice with payment options next business day.​

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
This is a short topic. Mg42 optics $4000. M59 will fit IIRC under $100 but not sighted for the m53. Mg3 optic is dedicated to the mg3 Lafette and those go for $850.

or machine a base like the m59 and weld it to a 1919 rail and you’re done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the link to the video
This is actually why I made an account to ask. I wanted to see if it was worth jumping on one with an optics rail now while they're affordable. I asked him for a quote yesterday and it would be $600 shipped for the tripod.

This is a short topic. Mg42 optics $4000. M59 will fit IIRC under $100 but not sighted for the m53. Mg3 optic is dedicated to the mg3 Lafette and those go for $850.

or machine a base like the m59 and weld it to a 1919 rail and you’re done.
I think having a base machined and built would be a feasible option, but I don't know if it would really be worth the effort at the end of the day. Would it stay remotely zeroed after the rifle is removed from the tripod or the scope removed from the rail? Numrich has good condition Yugo tripods with no scope rail for $399 with a $35 shipping charge. I think this thread has shown me that the scope rail isn't really worth much, other than looking kinda cool if you throw an M59 on it. I'm glad I made this thread, all I've found researching so far has been threads asking the same question with no answers. Hopefully this will help the next guy. I think I'm going to roll with the Numrich one and save myself a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I think that’s a good idea. The current Numrich price for a Yugo Lafette is far less than I paid 15 years ago. You don’t need optics on a Lafette but if in the future you decide you do want optics at least you have a tripod!

·
Registered
97 Posts
The ZRAK M59 scope is a cheap option, pros and cons already discussed. I bought mine for $60 delivered, probably cheaper with a little scouting. When mounted on the layette, the reticle is rotated 90 degrees wrt horizon. Since the scope was cheap, I took it apart and rotated the reticle 90 degrees and was successful at getting it back together. It took about half a day to do and definitely a job for the brave or fool-hearted. I have a Bowman layette, they are awesome! I am glad Bob is importing all this great stuff. M89

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The ZRAK M59 scope is a cheap option, pros and cons already discussed. I bought mine for $60 delivered, probably cheaper with a little scouting. When mounted on the layette, the reticle is rotated 90 degrees wrt horizon. Since the scope was cheap, I took it apart and rotated the reticle 90 degrees and was successful at getting it back together. It took about half a day to do and definitely a job for the brave or fool-hearted. I have a Bowman layette, they are awesome! I am glad Bob is importing all this great stuff. M89
Interesting... I didn’t know that was a possibility. This might sway me back towards the bowman one, there’s still a day left on the sale. Have you shot with the scope on the lafette much? What’s it like? Does the scope maintain zero after being taken off the rail, and the gun off the tripod?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Well this thread has me ordering a M59... $27.99 plus a bit over $10 shipping with a 10% code that they give away like candy. So for a bit under $40 delivered. I am going to do the same and rotate the reticle. If you have any pictures of what I am getting into, that would be helpful! :)

Lemony... the germans designed it to hold zero when the device is removed. I think it should be fine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well I could not find any photos of the modification...I did this 5-6 years ago. I therefore made some new images of the disassembly and modification steps. Here we go
1. Remove the four machine screws on the front of the scope

·
Registered
97 Posts
2. Next remove the setscrew the secures the spring plunger cap, and the unscrew plunger cap to remove spring and plunger

3. Rotate elevate adjuster fully CCW

·
Registered
97 Posts
4. Now remove reticle mount screws and wiggle the mount and reticle free from body. IIRC the reticle originally had a crosshair the was attached to the mount. I think I damaged it when I attempted to remove the mount. I didn't bother replacing it, but one could use spider webbing to rebuild the crosshair if so inclined.

·
Registered
97 Posts
5. Finally unscrew the lens ring to remove the reticle. Carefully note the orientation, and then reinsert the reticle with a 90 degree rotation and lightly retighten the lens screw. At this point make sure the rotation will provide proper orientation of the reticle when mounted on the M53 layette. THEN reassemble the scope in the reverse order. Also do your best to remove any smudges and dust from the reticle. It's hard to get it perfect, but anything on the reticle glass will be in focus when looking through the scope, sorry no free lunch here.

That's it! It's not a terribly complicated component, but a major oops can happen that wrecks the scope. Also it's been many years since I originally did the modification, so there could be other steps that I have forgotten. Good luck and let me know how it goes for you. M89

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Are the 'periscope' scopes made by Hensoldt (post war Im sure) no longer available? I never really tried my MG42 semi for accuracy on the tripod, but Id assume that some basic mechanical zero exists and the scope can be used to hit man sized targets. Ive only fired my tripod from the ground so getting behind the periscope is damn near impossible, but from raised position I think it would be an ideal scope to shoot from.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts