1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me for not perusing the archives of the forum, it's after midnight and I lack coffee. I'll review things a bit more closely tomorrow, but I thought others might have a better memory than I.

I recall reading a few months ago that there was a forum reader who had made an interesting can mount that would fit atop a tripod and hold a .30cal can with ammo on the left, have a built-in link chute and a holder for a .30cal can on the right to collect links. This was designed to be compatible with the 1919 adapters for the MG42 AA tripods (and presumably M2 tripods as well). I also seem to recall it having a T&E mechanism, though I'm not sure if that was part of the AA tripod or part of the can-mount apparatus.

I'm finally moving out to Arizona, and am looking to get one of Emory's crankfire adapters (not legal in California, where I live, but is perfectly legal in Arizona, where I'll be after mid-August). Obviously, shooting it from a homemade wood mount isn't terribly useful (I built it to prevent me from having to stack sandbags for the gun, control recoil, and take a bunch of the weight off the barrel shroud), and I'd like to get a good tripod, an adapter for the 1919 as necessary, and the steel can mount for ease of operation and clean-up.

If anyone could refresh my memory, I'd be most grateful. Any links to the folks who make/sell the can mount or tripods would be most excellent.

Muchos thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AK Addict said:
There's a group buy going on weaponeer.com for these $210 for the mount and T&E. A great deal!
Indeed, it is! How does the group buy work? One registers to confirm that one will be buying it, and the items are all shipped to the individual buyers, or are they all shipped to one person who then distributes them?

I'm curious how stable this whole setup is on an MG42 tripod, particularly when being crankfired. I expect a little bit of jostling around, but I would hope that the whole assembly is pretty well-built. I was considering the MG42 tripod due to its adjustable height -- I'll be using it standing, sitting, and in the prone, so it looks like the right thing for me...but any comments on what would be the "right" tripod are welcome (it looks like these adapters only work with one type, not all the different 1919-compatible tripods).

Cheers!

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have one, Its ok, Looks great. A little more stabe if you set it up with one long leg to the rear with some weight on the hooks. OK for semi fire, gets a little wild for rapid fire. by wild i mean it groups about 3feet at 50yards. other wise a great setup.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You should see what mine does at 300 :D It's more like 30 feet. The entire hillside is under attack!

It's a great setup.. careful now, if you spend too much time here you'll have to have a Sokolov and a MG42 ground mount and an M2.... I sugest you run away while you can.:eek:

·
Registered
620 Posts
I would trade my AA setup for a sokolov

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BigMac said:
You should see what mine does at 300 :D It's more like 30 feet. The entire hillside is under attack!

It's a great setup.. careful now, if you spend too much time here you'll have to have a Sokolov and a MG42 ground mount and an M2.... I sugest you run away while you can.:eek:
*laughs* In that case, I might have to get the M2 tripod, as it looks a bit more stable.

How's the MG42 AA mount work with the legs spread out really far so it's lower to the ground and more stable? Any better accuracy? I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive, pretty stable mount for it. Having rounds go everywhere would not endear myself to the rangemaster...

·
Registered
620 Posts
spreading the legs out actually allows for more flexing...... I keep the front legs short and close together with the rear leg extended about half. its a little more stable that way. Its really a good mount if you have an A6 stock on it. your body takes away a lot of the flexing. Its most stable if your shooting up at airplanes, thats what its designed for. If you dont mind getting in the dirt a badgerbob M2 or a sokolov mout is a lot more stable. Or if your interested I'll sell you my AA setup for 300.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sniper258 said:
spreading the legs out actually allows for more flexing...... I keep the front legs short and close together with the rear leg extended about half. its a little more stable that way. Its really a good mount if you have an A6 stock on it. your body takes away a lot of the flexing. Its most stable if your shooting up at airplanes, thats what its designed for. If you dont mind getting in the dirt a badgerbob M2 or a sokolov mout is a lot more stable. Or if your interested I'll sell you my AA setup for 300.
D'oh! There goes my ingenious idea!

I don't have an A6 setup, and don't really care for it. I much prefer the A4 style, though I'm debating getting spadegrips because the regular trigger sucks so badly (though a crankfire might alleviate that).

Brief googling returns no particularly useful information about the badgerbob M2, and the Sokolov tripod seems to involve wheels, which isn't quite what I'm looking for. Where could I find more info about the badgerbob one (I don't need a genuine USGI tripod, just one that's functional).

I'm curious what your AA setup consists of, and would be quite tempted to purchase it indeed. You can contact me by email at [email protected], or here on the board. Pictures would, of course, be helpful, as well as any descriptions you have. :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Pete

I too use spadgrips, my way of solving the trigger pull with the buttstock is by sliding an empty over the trigger to increase your leverage on the trigger, works really good. I'll take some pics tomorow morning of how I set it up and I'll e-mail them to you

-Aaron

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hey Pete, check your PM's

1 - 13 of 13 Posts