1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I recently acquired a MG81 flash cone in excellent condition from one of the experts in the community. It is in superb condition. I wanted to check if MG81 owners here have similar style flash cones. Do these appear more on singles or twins? Please check out the picture and feel free to comment. Stay safe and stay healthy. Cheers.
PJ FH.JPG

·
Registered
95 Posts
From what I've seen a greater number of the guns came with the plain boosterbodies. My single gun had one of the flash hiders and I've seen pictures of other singles with the flash hider but almost all the twins seemed to have the plain booster. I will say that I've seen flash hiders that have the notches for the retaining spring on the inside and others with them on the outside. Yours is like mine was with the notches inside. I think those were the most common. Neat guns and great fun to shoot. We timed mine averaging 10 ea 25 rd belts of the 150gr ball Romanian ammo and the same number with the heavy 192gr yugo ball. Amazingly to me the light ball averaged 1820 rpm and the heavy ball ran an average of 1780rpm. Either way it doesn't take long to empty the links.

Frank

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great discussion, gentlemen. Thanks for your input. It’s fun to not only learn about these amazing machines themselves, but also their manufacturing variations during the war. Keep the comments coming!

·
11,084 Posts
1820!?!?!

i was told to think 1600 but if you timed yours ill take your data all day long.

my twins had the outside notch cones

·
Registered
95 Posts
We timed mine with a PACT shot timer and did a pretty thorough job of it. I'm satisfied the results were good. We timed a couple others and they seemed to be about the same. We did note though that the twins always seemed a little slower. Not by a lot but the one gun (pair) we did actually time with the PACT timer was doing about 100rpm slower when both sides were running. I think the Germans discovered there were some harmonics with the twins and they didn't always run the same. I noticed in the twins I've fired that with the same length belts the guns seldom emptied them at the same time.
They are really neat guns and the twins are fun too. Its cool to see the front leg of a 50 cal tripod lifted by 2 8mm machineguns. Something even the 50 doesn't seem to do.

Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts