1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Midway opened the doors to the long awaited carbine “sale” and sold out in hours. Prices between $1200 and $1800

seems everyone on ar15.com tried to buy one.https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Italian-M1-carbines-coming-from-MidwayUSA-/5-2450900/&page=12

That’s a lot of coin for worn carbines.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What we old hands think is a high price today is based off of years of being spoiled at sub $1000 prices.

With inflation happening, you ain't seen nothing yet. Yugo Mausers, Russian SKS rifles, 91/30s and so many more surplus firearms have doubled and tripled in price over the past 5 years.

We like to say "wow these prices are nuts" in hopes people stop paying them but for every one person who puts their foot down and says "enough" there are 10 more people willing to fight each other to pay these current prices.

Remember the guy who whined yesterday about makarovs being $300 and is whining today about makarovs being $400 will be whining tomorrow about them being $500.

Surplus is now considered collectible and the price is going to go up and up until it cannot sustain growth and then it'll dip a bit before plateauing. Unlike civil war collecting that collapsed, today's surplus can actually be used for defense or putting food on the table. The history can also be connected with unlike the civil war which is only around in books. I bring up the civil war collecting collapse because if I don't someone else will and it's in my opinion a flawed apples to oranges argument.

$1500-2000 may seem high but it's the new norm.
To me $80,000 for a Corvette is high.. but they are so sold out that there's many months backlog to get one in most states.

Glad to see they sold and that many people were interested!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Is it all Inland.?? Bright bore and original finish???? Correct original wood.?? Correct rear site.??? Carbines are much harder to check due to disassembly proceedure.....as compared to Garand. I still need a book to refer to........most vendors wont allow you to take a screw driver to things. Donna wanted to get all 10 mfgrs. Took several years to get 5 correct guns. I quit after that struggle.

This is, of course, collector concern, if you are just going to shoot it, who cares.!!!!!!!

PJH

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The point is that it sets a new floor on pricing. If thousands are willing to pay $1200 for an Inland that’s the new bottom price. Ouch.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The Best grade Underwoods during the "Four Hour Sale"......were going for $2499.00. I doubt there were too many of those.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I am that guy who does not like the M1 Carbine much... M2 is pretty cool but the M1 is just boring. No recoil, like shooting a BB gun with a lot more expensive ammo. I will pass forever.

·
12,293 Posts
In auto they’re super fun but semi, I’m with you. Boring and expensive to shoot

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I would have to agree...I have 3...None are US...I have a like new Iver / universal / and a .22 trainer that was made in Germany...It is rare I ever shoot any of them...Too many other cool guns to take to the range...Never stocked up on ammo for them due to the fact I never shoot them....But I do have all I need to reload a bunch...It's just not worth wasting powder and primers on at this moment....Last time I shot one was at Rory's old farm many years ago...That is until his old lady threw a fit 😁

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
eh, back in the day, 1999/2000 you could pick up a carbine for 350 or so bucks..........and yet they were not a big seller. then when HBO aired BAND OF BROTHERS all of a sudden everybody and their sisters wanted one, who just a year before didn't even consider buying one..........and prices skyrocketed up to the stupid levels and those people nearly broke their hand reaching for their wallets to get one

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
My favorite M1 carbine is the one Dolf gave me years ago at the creek and it is a postal meter made in Rochester, NY. I had him sign it and he thought I was nuts because he is an MG guy and thought no one would buy it with his signature on it lol Like I would ever sell something from him anyway. I have a few and like them for what they are but if we go to war they will all be left in the safe.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like mine. Lightweight, easy to handle, fits anywhere. Beats a 9mm ar15 any day.

my postal meter is all wartime. The universal works, and ha ha ha look what they sell for on GB these days.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have really enjoyed teaching my grandmonsters how to shoot, and all about the safety of shooting, we started out with a Daisy red ridder, then 22s and now they are shooting my carbine, not much recoil, light weight and they love it.
Bought it in 1986 for $150.00 and 3 cans of ammo at the time wasn't much either, this is my last full can of 1350rounds.
IMG_5247.JPG

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
In addition to my six different U.S. M1 Carbines...I have the Crosman M1 and the Marlin 989-M2 Carbine. All fun to shoot.

·
12,293 Posts
I have a national postal meter and abs ibm. Almost never shot either for a decade. Then went and made one a postie. Now it’s been shot twice. Hahahah

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I enjoy collecting them, have roughly a dozen but the last I bought was about twenty years ago. Much more interested in the history of them than I am shooting them which is basically the same way I look at any of my collectible firearms. Not saying I do not like to shoot but when I do it is primarily using modern pistols in USPSA matches.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I bought 2, one was a IAI carbine I picked up around 98 or 99, the price was very good.......except for the barrel and receiver all the parts on it are USGI parts, never gave me a issue and is accurate. then some years later when the Italians return M1 carbines back to the Army the CMP was selling them, I said "ah heck, think I'll scoot up to CAMP PERRY and get one on the first day they go on sale".

looked at the rack grade WINCHESTER, for 595 bucks, for $hits and giggles I gauged it to see what kind barrels they had....they are gauged out to service grade condition, MW of under 4, everything else on it looked good, no pits etc...asked "why are these graded rack grade when they are like service grade?". the CMP guy just shrugged and said, "must have been a late Friday afternoon when this batch arrived at the grader's station".

so I paid 595 bucks for a 695 service grade carbine. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts