1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MGS chunks NOT cut through the locking shoulder area?????
I believe are cut through the locking shoulder area, however, they would come in handy for piecing in on a reweld of a better cut receiver; Or take the nose piece off this one and use it on the IMA Bren receivers that are missing the nose piece. Those are around $299 but cut in better places.

·
Registered
739 Posts
IMHO, the receivers are only good for the occasional needed piece. I think that all of the important and tough to fix places have been torched pretty well.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I picked up two and only got one really use able section, a front end piece. All the rest is a Slag pile and is just good for filler pieces.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am tempted to see if i can successfully weld one of these into a semi. I have heard of guys who were successful at a reweld in a MSG receiver. I think they could be welded into a dummy receiver. The one I have still had the lugs in front of the barrel and the bolt stop mounting platform. It still is a serious mess and would take a lot to make it work and probably not worth the time but might be a fun challenge and not much to loose.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I am tempted to see if i can successfully weld one of these into a semi. I have heard of guys who were successful at a reweld in a MSG receiver. I think they could be welded into a dummy receiver. The one I have still had the lugs in front of the barrel and the bolt stop mounting platform. It still is a serious mess and would take a lot to make it work and probably not worth the time but might be a fun challenge and not much to loose.
Stan at Project Guns LLC has a video on Bren receiver rebuilding: http://www.projectguns.com/bren.html
It is not really a matter of what is possible, it is a matter of end result quality, functionality, and value of time. I am not a machinist but I have seen and owned a fair amount of MGS and I.O. Bren kits. While some of the early MGS kits were not terrible the later ones were a real mess.

An analogy would be the effort to rust blue a 1928 Colt WC water jacket which has dents and pitting compared to starting with a water jacket that did not have imperfections. All depends on value of your time, skill level, rarity of item, and standard of finish desired in end result. IMHO

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stan at Project Guns LLC has a video on Bren receiver rebuilding: http://www.projectguns.com/bren.html
It is not really a matter of what is possible, it is a matter of end result quality, functionality, and value of time. I am not a machinist but I have seen and owned a fair amount of MGS and I.O. Bren kits. While some of the early MGS kits were not terrible the later ones were a real mess.

An analogy would be the effort to rust blue a 1928 Colt WC water jacket which has dents and pitting compared to starting with a water jacket that did not have imperfections. All depends on value of your time, skill level, rarity of item, and standard of finish desired in end result. IMHO
Redroth,

Thanks for your insight. I agree about the value of time and quality of end product. I imagine I could make this work given enough time, however, I doubt I will since there are many other projects to do that would produce better results for the investment of time. Still fun to dream! :cool:

Junking

1 - 10 of 10 Posts