1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I was linking up some .308 for the next range day, I wondered if using my 54R links would be alright. A question for those more experience: Should I keep my links separated by ammo use, or does it matter?

So far I've only run the Browning in 54R twice, wanting to try .308 so I linked up ~250 rds M80. Wondering if the once and twice used for 54 R links (which do seem to loosen) would be good for running .308. I decided to use new .308 links.

So far my only issues in 54R have been with headspacing, adjusting the front cartridge guide, lubrication of the weapon and links and light primer strikes. I'll switch it up on the range back to 54R and shoot another 440 rds of Russian milsurp.
Headspacing issue - 54R likes it TIGHT
Front Cartridge Guide - filing this down after the first range trip made an awesome difference, filed a little more after the second trip - will see how it goes soon.
Lubrication of weapon - The first time I was too sparing on the lube, now I bought an oiler and put 5W30 into the gun until weeping - feels better.
Light Primer Strikes - Bought some of the custom springs from Zap after my last trip - hope this helps with the 10% FTF from light strikes

·
Registered
215 Posts
As I was linking up some .308 for the next range day, I wondered if using my 54R links would be alright. A question for those more experiences: Should I keep my links separated by ammo use, or does it matter?
The links for 54r should be .308.J.R.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I think what he is asking is if the 54r will stretch out the links to much for use on 308.

As for myself I have not tried going back to 308 from 54r yet.

Steve

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks outsider -you got it

So far I've only run the Browning in 54R twice, wanting to try .308 so I linked up ~250 rds M80. Wondering if the once and twice fired 54R links (which do seem to loosen and improve function on second use) would be good for running .308. I decided to use new .308 links.

So far my only issues in 54R have been with headspacing, adjusting the front cartridge guide, lubrication of the weapon & links (ran out of WD40 on range - had to brush on Hoppes9), and light primer strikes. So this is the first time I'll fire two calibers in one day - I'll switch it up on the range back to 54R and shoot another 440 rds of Russian milsurp.

Headspacing issue - 54R likes it TIGHT!
Front Cartridge Guide - filing this down after the first range trip made an awesome difference, filed a little more after the second trip - will see how it goes soon.
Lubrication of weapon - The first time I was too sparing on the lube (a lot of Hoppes9), now I bought an oiler and put 5W30 into the gun until weeping - feels better.
Light Primer Strikes - Bought some of the custom springs from Rich (Custom Metal Works Mesquite, Texas) after my last trip - hope this helps with the 10% FTF from light strikes
Picture link below of FTF rounds-
41 FTF rounds from ~ 550 rounds of shooting

1 - 5 of 5 Posts