1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you that shoot your 1919s on a regular basis: what are you using for a sight? I have a nice picatinny rail mount that attaches to the rear sight base and want to mount something to it. I was planning on using my EOTech 552 but after the recent civil fraud case, EOTech can pretty much go to hell and I will be returning mine for a full refund.

That being said, what are you guys using for optics on your 1919s?

(In case you missed the memo about EOTech, see below)

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, Plaintiff,
v.
L-3 COMMUNICATIONS EOTECH, INC.,
L-3 COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION,
and PAUL MANGANO,

Case 1:15-cv-09262

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-...s-v.-L-3-Communications-Eotech-Inc.-et-al.pdf

·
Registered
183 Posts
Eotech case & BMGParts Rail

Hey Maim-

Nice 1919, like the mount. I'm thinking about getting a rail rear sight mount from BMGparts for my own Christmas gift. Rick @ BMG sells one that attaches to the rear sight. I read about the Eotech settlement on Azshooting. I'm contemplating the return of my 512 - still have the box - was a gift back in the day. The eotech always works, but the battery foam glue gave out and you need to fiddle with it ONLY when changing batteries. It works 100% - besides that issue when exchanging batteries.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NBC LT, thanks! Finally happy to be in the belt-fed club. :D

I have the same EOTech 512 which has also been reliable for me for several years, but the prospect of returning it for full MSRP is tempting. I'm watching the AZShooting and AR15.com threads to see if people will actually be getting $$$ back or "store credit" or something else before I make a move with mine.

The benefit of the EOTech is that you don't have to get close to it. You can sit way back from the MG and still use the EOTech effectively. I just don't see anything else like that available unless I am missing something... thus the reason for my post.

My mount hangs the optic off to the left side of the MG like the 1919 pictured on the left (not mine) in the lower picture.

Anybody have any suggestion?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have this "Kemper XL" mounted on mine.
Parallax is atrocious, but the view of the target is superb.
It works great for me because the mount allows free traverse and vertical elevation, although vertical has a limit adjustment to keep rounds where we want them.
We only shoot up to 300 yards max and often closer, but it's ideal for perforating old appliances etc.

Machine Machine tool Revolver Airsoft gun Machine Machine tool Auto part Engine Tool

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr Sid, thank you for the suggestion!

Would it be possible to take a picture looking through the glass with it turned on so we can see what it looks like?

Based on the size alone I like it!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Here's some pics with both colors but they don't do the image justice, the "dot" is actually a circle with four short bars intersecting at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o' clock position, plus three small dots in the lower 6 o' clock position.
It does however give a good idea of the field of view.

Robot Personal protective equipment Technology Machine Helmet Product Camera accessory Cameras & optics Optical instrument Camera

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool thanks!

Lots of reflection there. How does it look in daylight outside? Also, how long have youy had it and used it? Reviews on Amazon aren't very positive referring to quality and lifespan. Id like to know what your experience has been.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Cool thanks!

Lots of reflection there. How does it look in daylight outside? Also, how long have youy had it and used it? Reviews on Amazon aren't very positive referring to quality and lifespan. Id like to know what your experience has been.
Yeah, my photography with a cellphone sucks but you get the general idea.
Outside in daylight it's very good, IMHO.
I've had it on the 1919A4 for about a year, and baby typically gets some exercise about once a month, the only issues I've had has been things coming loose but dear ol' Loctite works magic.
For most uses as a red dot sight it sucks but excels in this application.
HTH.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I have an AZEX mount (excellent mount made about 15 years ago). I put one of those cheap NCStar holo sights on it. At the range the sight was so far off that in trying to adjust the windage the screw came all the way out and got lost. Last NCStar product I bought.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have an AZEX mount (excellent mount made about 15 years ago). I put one of those cheap NCStar holo sights on it. At the range the sight was so far off that in trying to adjust the windage the screw came all the way out and got lost. Last NCStar product I bought.
I have that exact mount. Two of them actually! I'm going to try it with my EOTech for a little bit to see how that looks. I'll post pics after the range trip.

Good to see you got your 1919 Mr Maim! You shall enjoy it immensely.
Thanks H! I still have not sent parts in to Tony for a 54R setup. That is on my "to do" list for next year. :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just got my mount from BMGparts.com

Going to try the M240 reticle ACOG, has nice eye relief and is calibrated for the .308 M240 MG.

Just got the scope mount and some real barrel lock springs from Rick @ BMG yesterday. Used some removable blue loc-tite to set the screws, seems rock solid. Will bring out an Eotech 512 to the range test as well if I don't end up liking the ACOG. However, there are belt-fed shooting (ands SMG) matches here in AZ in which I aspire to participate - so I'm looking for a bit more precision in the 400m - 600m range. I just wonder if the ACOG will work well with 54R ballistics as well as .308.... probably close enough.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks H! I still have not sent parts in to Tony for a 54R setup. That is on my "to do" list for next year. :D
Make sure you secure a good source of 54R prior to doing so. Seriously. It hurts on the front end but the way to go 54R is to go BIG and buy crap piles of it at once. So you get same lot and just as importantly you have enough to make your conversion worth while in case cheap 54R ammo dries up...which may be happening now.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Going to try the M240 reticle ACOG, has nice eye relief and is calibrated for the .308 M240 MG.

Just got the scope mount and some real barrel lock springs from Rick @ BMG yesterday. Used some removable blue loc-tite to set the screws, seems rock solid. Will bring out an Eotech 512 to the range test as well if I don't end up liking the ACOG. However, there are belt-fed shooting (ands SMG) matches here in AZ in which I aspire to participate - so I'm looking for a bit more precision in the 400m - 600m range. I just wonder if the ACOG will work well with 54R ballistics as well as .308.... probably close enough.
Man that looks great! Thanks for the pics.

What tripod are you using there? I have the same MG mount as you (came with the 1919) but need a taller tripod with the M2-sized pintle socket that the German AA tripods don't have.

Hope to see you up here for a match or two buddy. :) For beltfed matches at RSSC we rarely go beyond 300 yards. When we have beltfed matches at the AZNG range, we go out to 600 meters. :eek:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Make sure you secure a good source of 54R prior to doing so. Seriously. It hurts on the front end but the way to go 54R is to go BIG and buy crap piles of it at once. So you get same lot and just as importantly you have enough to make your conversion worth while in case cheap 54R ammo dries up...which may be happening now.
I'm good on 54R. :D I spent the majority of the summer and fall buying as much as I could find.

·
Registered
183 Posts
BMGparts.com tripod & 54R Depth Gauge

Hey Maim!!!

My New Years Resolution is to get involved with the SMG and BF matches this year. Got an extra couch up there in Phoenix that I can crash on???

The tripod is a BMGparts.com heavy duty AA tripod - got a short video of it on this forums video area. The thing is built like a tank and barely moves.

The 54R conversion from Troy at Barrelxchange requires that the cartridge rear rim only protrude, once seated snugly in the barrel, between 0.12 inches (minimum - less batters bolt t-slot) and 0.13 inches (maximum - more is excessive headspace).

Remember when I was trying to estimate that protrusion with a ruler at UNAMMO??? That ammo lot ended up being at 0.115 inches (would batter bolt face) for that lot of ammo I bought, so I had to have another barrel cut for that lot (that barrel is exclusively for my silver-tip). Anyways, I bought a really "nice" digital depth micrometer off of AMAZON.com for $20.00 - works like a charm and confirms the 54 cartridge seating depth to the 0.001 inch.

Get some of Zap's firing pin springs for your 54R, see my troubleshooting post - those springs rock!!!!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks NBC LT! We have a match on Saturday at the Arizona National Guard range in Florence. Starts early at 9:00am (I know, I know, that is EARLY) but it is not every day you get to shoot on a fully automated $300,000 computer controlled range that goes out to 1600 meters!

As for my Eotech on my setup: I'll use it for this match and get something different for the next. I need magnification.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As a quick follow-up to this thread: I took second place in our most recent beltfed match using my EOTech. That was against MG42s with Lafette tripods and Henscholdt optics, M16s with ACOGS, and every manner of optic on 1919s, SAWs, HK91s, M16s, etc. The thing is totally dialed in. I'm pretty happy with myself. :D

The SAW with an Aimpoint CompM3 and an Aimpoint 4x magnifier that I finished behind.

Stepson on my 1919. Hes' a lefty and left eye dom., so he loves the setup.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shameless bump. I was cleaning up the 1919 the other day and took a quick sight picture if anyone is interested on how it looks with an EOTech.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts