1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
I was surprised that one MG08 sold for $21K and the other one for $39K. Don't quite understand how one was worth twice what the other one was worth....yes, I know the more expensive one was in nicer condition and matching numbered parts.

·
11,527 Posts
I was surprised that one MG08 sold for $21K and the other one for $39K. Don't quite understand how one was worth twice what the other one was worth....yes, I know the more expensive one was in nicer condition and matching numbered parts.
i was shocked that the one went for 39,000
that must be the highest realized price for an 08 ever.

theyve been under 20 for a long time.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've seen a bunch of matching MG08's and a few matching 08/15s. The condition was probably considerably better on the one gun though from what I've seen the buyers never see the guns til ups drops them on their neighbors doorstep with no signature. Those prices are really high compared to what I've been seeing over the last few years.

If its the Boys rifle I'm thinking of you were saved by not buying that one. The conversion to 50 was really poorly done using an aircraft barrel and milling the guide rails off the trunnion. The torque on firing trys to rotate the barrel and receiver and the rails are what keeps that from happening. With the crappy conversions like that one the gun will wear over time because the main thing resisting it has been removed. Now the T-bolt that holds the rear of the receiver to the cradle is all there is and the edges get bent or wear out til the bolt breaks.

Frank

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agreed, that was disappointing.
Understandable though. That was basically an artillery piece. The number of potential buyers for something like that is probably a fraction of those wanting a single air cooled M2. Who all has the means to transport it, and a place to display it? I've had my license for 20yrs and the MG market keeps surprising me. I used to think there would be a point where the market was going to say, f*c% it and the crazy prices will stop. I'm proven wrong every year. The number of MG selling for 6 digits keeps increasing. I keep thinking the common man cant afford them, but the demand is still enough to keep prices up. I know people who form groups to buy a half million dollar car together. I wonder if that's the direction MG ownership is going?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Prices also seem to jump when the stock market is bad as people look to other places to invest. There are still tons of people out there that have no idea in many places the guns are legal. Every day another person with deep pockets happens into this information. I would bet many of the people buying the super high end stuff don’t know much about it or even have a huge interest it’s all about investments for many

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Prices also seem to jump when the stock market is bad as people look to other places to invest. There are still tons of people out there that have no idea in many places the guns are legal. Every day another person with deep pockets happens into this information. I would bet many of the people buying the super high end stuff don’t know much about it or even have a huge interest it’s all about investments for many
I don't buy into (pun intended) the investment theory. I've discussed that with my finance guy, and customers who have very deep pockets. Putting $30k a year into machine guns VS $30k properly invested, the machine gun "investment" is going to lose every time when all is said and done.
Machine Guns, or any guns for that matter are not investments. Some may appreciate in value, but not much more than they increase in inflation. If the person who spent almost a half million dollars on the M240 did it as an investment, he's not too bright.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Bigbore,
I respectfully disagree a bit. I will agree it may not be a great investment but my guns and most of my friends that have had them through the years have made out well when cashing out. Sometimes three and four fold of the initial investment. I know of a few guys that have bought guns, never done anything with them but put it in a safe and cash out later and make a ton. Nothing is guaranteed but on anything be it stocks, cars, land etc. if you are getting into buying now you won’t make much but people like myself who bought decades ago are now sitting on a fortune in guns. Have a friend who amnesty registered dozens of guns he picked up as a kid for peanuts. He is now sitting on close to a million in today’s market. It’s all about timing and making the right buys no matter what you are buying

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have a friend who amnesty registered dozens of guns he picked up as a kid for peanuts. He is now sitting on close to a million in today’s market. It’s all about timing and making the right buys no matter what you are buying
Those days are long gone. It's safe to say anyone who is at a point in their life where they can drop $100K on a Morphy's Auction gun will see much of a return in their lifetime.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts