1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, like many of you here, bought the 49.99 rear AA sight a while back. I couldnt find a decent priced front sight and I feel it was just lacking. So, I took a trip to Home Depot and bought the following:

1- 1/2 pipe hanger
3/8th threaded rod
3/8th coupling nut
small acorn nut (for sight bead)

I measured and cut the threaded rod and then chucked it up into my drill press. I spent about 20 minutes with a hand file against the spinning rod. Once I got the contour right, I topped it with the acorn nut and brazed it on. Chucked it up again and had a little more time with a file. While IM REALLY impressed that I did this by hand with a crappy old metal file and a drill press, I realized I REALLY need some new files!

added some spray paint:

the final product installed:

Ive got a sum total of about 12 bucks and 2 hours into the project. It may not be authentic (Then again, neither is the rear) but it will serve its intended purpose.

PS: The rear sights are really poorly made. The cross wires are barely held in place and you can see all the rust in the hinge from a very badly prepped bluing job. Im pretty sure they are all from the same source, so the vendor I bought it from is irrelevant.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Awesome job

I have one of those rear AA sights also, like many I'm sure

No I have to add this to my project list

Thanks for sharing

Wally

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Where did you get the piece(s) that go around the shroud? That can't be Home Depot. Or is that the 1.5" pipe hanger???

If this is cheap I'm all over it, if you haven't noticed the factory sights SUCK.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where did you get the piece(s) that go around the shroud? That can't be Home Depot. Or is that the 1.5" pipe hanger???

If this is cheap I'm all over it, if you haven't noticed the factory sights SUCK.
Yep. 1 1/2 pipe hanger from the plumbing section. Cost all of 3 bucks. I was amazed at how well it fit. Not only is this project CHEAP, but it takes NO special tools or skills. Even without brazing equipment (Ive just got a cheap oxy/mapp setup).

Im a little worried my point of impact is going to be low (with the much higher sight axis) , but hell, most of the time when I shoot this thing its just to hear it go bang.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Question for you all.
How do you set these sights up the way they should be set up? Are they both set above the center of the bore in the barrel by a set amount? If different how?
I'm in the process of making 2 sets now.
Steamer

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Question for you all.
How do you set these sights up the way they should be set up? Are they both set above the center of the bore in the barrel by a set amount? If different how?
I'm in the process of making 2 sets now.
Steamer
I set the gun level on a tripod with a T&E. The I ran a string and plumb bob from the cross hairs to the unmachined front sight. I marked the height. Close enough for display and occasional range plinking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts