1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm gonna build one, I might as well build two. Guns are all drilled, less the front cartridge stop, mocked up and awaiting riveting. I used a milling machine and indicators to align the barrel shroud to the LSP. I got them within .010" parallel then I drilled thru the RSP. I had some issues with one RSP as the back groove for the handle was milled .151", the same as the trunnion groove. This was not correct, it should have been .157" so I machined an additional .005" in the back groove and now the handle slides down nicely with some drag but not too much. I'll notify the MFGR of the RSP tomorrow. Otherwise, they are coming along nicely. I couldn't have done this without the wealth of information on this web site. Once I get my rivets, I'll be breaking in my new "Plinkers" rivet tool and a special thanks to Toolmanm203 for all your help and coaching.
mill set up 1_2_16 [1024x768].jpg finished machining 1_2_16 [1024x768].jpg

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Mike I am glad I could help. I like the way you mocked up the boxes before riveting I do the same thing. I liked to bolt it up then check the feed ways before hand as it is much easier to file and fit them especially in the feed way areas! Keep us posted on the progress :thumbup: Russ

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Kinda looks like my workshop quite a few years ago. :D

Looks like you are heading in the right direction - keep it up.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Got it all going good, it looks like. Nothing more satisfying than rolling your own! Looking forward to the next update. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Rivets done.

I riveted the guns this past weekend. The Plinkers Jig worked great...just take your time. Re-assembled the guns, everything feels smooth. Ready for test firing. rivets 1 [1024x768].jpg rivets done 2 [1024x768].jpg

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Test fired the guns

Both guns were test fired yesterday. They shot great. Rounds advanced fine. But, BOTH guns have to have the trigger pushed down after each shot otherwise it won't fire again. So, you pull the trigger, The gun fires, the gun cycles and chambers another round, but you have to push the trigger down before you can pull the trigger to fire the gun again. Since both are doing the same thing, I'm assuming I didn't do something right in regards to the semi-auto KMP trigger installation. Please offer suggestions.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Both guns were test fired yesterday. They shot great. Rounds advanced fine. But, BOTH guns have to have the trigger pushed down after each shot otherwise it won't fire again. So, you pull the trigger, The gun fires, the gun cycles and chambers another round, but you have to push the trigger down before you can pull the trigger to fire the gun again. Since both are doing the same thing, I'm assuming I didn't do something right in regards to the semi-auto KMP trigger installation. Please offer suggestions.
Trigger spring? J.R.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
bigmike--

Congrads on your two builds!! Attached is a pic I believe that was once on this forum of what "theweasel" is talking about.

cheers

--fjruple

106740.jpg

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bigmike--

Congrads on your two builds!! Attached is a pic I believe that was once on this forum of what "theweasel" is talking about.

cheers

--fjruple

View attachment 16015
I have this same picture downloaded as I used it for my builds. I have the springs installed exactly as shown in the picture. I do believe the spring has a very soft feel with barely any spring pressure on the triggers. I bent the springs down yesterday in an effort to increase the spring pressure. I have yet to re-fire the guns.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I have this same picture downloaded as I used it for my builds. I have the springs installed exactly as shown in the picture. I do believe the spring has a very soft feel with barely any spring pressure on the triggers. I bent the springs down yesterday in an effort to increase the spring pressure. I have yet to re-fire the guns.
Your springs should not "feel soft". Did you bend the springs yourself? I use .051 Music Wire (spring tempered wire). If bending your current springs don't do the trick, you may need to procure or make some new ones. If you need more assistance on these, feel free to contact me.

Good Luck, Matt

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought the springs from KMP when I bought the triggers and sears. I installed exactly as the picture shows but the triggers barely engage the spring. I have now bent them down significantly and am awaiting a re-test. Probably this weekend.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I bought the springs from KMP when I bought the triggers and sears. I installed exactly as the picture shows but the triggers barely engage the spring. I have now bent them down significantly and am awaiting a re-test. Probably this weekend.
With KMP spring, I'm sure you'll be fine with the added bend.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update on trigger not returning

After bending the trigger return springs and increasing the spring tension, the guns fired perfectly and the trigger reset after each shot. Now it's parkerizing time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts