1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call today from my long missing unknown grandson. He was just locked up in Illinois, Chicago for unspecified violations, and he needs bail money. I told him to call his Grandma - she has control over the finances. Heck - he wouldn't even tell me his name - he said he was shocked I didn't know who he was with out it! :rofl:

Anyone want to contribute to my help the unknown relatives fund? (chuckle) Tried a *69 to no avail - he must have been calling from the unknown grand children's embassy. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
My 93-year old father used to get these. He doesn't anymore because I moved him into assisted living.

In one case, Dad withdrew a large sum of cash from the bank because his son, my brother, was in jail. He was headed out to the grocery store to give the stack of bills to some guy from Jamaica. I found out and interceded with the local constabulary. Besides getting an unneeded lecture from the police that my father could not live alone, it proved futile pursuing legal action. Dad has dementia and could never testify or even give a consistent story.

Then there was the guy that called my father's phone which I picked up. A foreign accented voice say Dad won $300,000 and a new BWM. All Dad had to do was wire $3000 for the taxes. I played my father and said I would meet him to give him the cash and take position of the prizes. The reply was, "if I see you, I shoot you in the head."

We traced both of these back to Jamaica and a gang with ties to Al-Qaeda. I moved Dad from his apartment in the retirement village soon thereafter.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
All sorts of people prey on the elderly. My dad went to the dealer to have an oil change. they sent him home with a brand new Prius.

Karl

·
Registered
6,355 Posts

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gary it was an actual phone call. I've gotten the emails and even the call from IRS saying I was being sued by them, but this was really strange. The guy actually thought I'd believe he was a grandson?? I mean really?? :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
All sorts of people prey on the elderly. My dad went to the dealer to have an oil change. they sent him home with a brand new Prius.

Karl

There's two crimes here one being the Prius.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Gary it was an actual phone call. I've gotten the emails and even the call from IRS saying I was being sued by them, but this was really strange. The guy actually thought I'd believe he was a grandson?? I mean really?? :lol:

I've gotten the IRS scam calls one from some Pakistani or south Asian dude on a cell phone from Huston. At first I thought I was in a 7-11 or a Dunkin Donut before he threatened me with an arrest warrant which was being held by agents right outside my door.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The world is full of scam artists! And some of them have the title of "The Honorable 'Representative or Senator" in their titles, or even 'President"!

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts

Karl
Karl, are you saying that brassmagnet is "elderly?" :lol:

I keep getting calls from "technical support" and they want me to give them access to my computer over the internet. Heck, I can't even control my computers, I don't know why they think they can!

But the unknown grandchild concept reminded me of my friends at the old motorcycle courier service I worked at for some years. At the same time I was still doing tours with the theater business, often gone for a few weeks at a time, all over the country. So my courier buddies used to tease me about leaving all these "little Rollins" in cities across the 48. If only I had gotten that much action!!!! :D

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Karl, are you saying that brassmagnet is "elderly?" :lol:

I keep getting calls from "technical support" and they want me to give them access to my computer over the internet. Heck, I can't even control my computers, I don't know why they think they can!

But the unknown grandchild concept reminded me of my friends at the old motorcycle courier service I worked at for some years. At the same time I was still doing tours with the theater business, often gone for a few weeks at a time, all over the country. So my courier buddies used to tease me about leaving all these "little Rollins" in cities across the 48. If only I had gotten that much action!!!! :D
Well I am sneaking up on elderly I guess. :)

When they call me about my computer I ask them "which one is acting up"? Usually he says the second one in his 3rd world country dialect, and then I tell him I only have one - he hangs up. Week later, same call - same guy, lol.

Rollin - if you didn't choose to get "lucky" [pardon the pun] in Hartford WI, on one of your lay-overs a few years back, during a snow storm, I can see where no little "Lucky#13's" are wandering the face of the earth. That had to be a boring night for you. :rofl::rofl:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts