1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my F/A 1919 I replaced the GI lockframe with an Izzy mod with the locking screw. Got it timed up nice and sharp about .075. My problem is with my 17A1. It also has the adjustable timing screw. I set it and its good. Cock and drop on .100 and it snaps. WTF? Set it on .06, tighten. Test, good. Cock and drop on .100 and it snaps! Which part is worn or broken or both? Everything is clean, no grit, and no rattles. J

·
Registered
312 Posts
Timing

Do you mean the firing pin does not drop at .060?
First, how is the headspace. always set the headspace before the timing.
Second, any chance the trigger was bent in the past? Try a new trigger.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Headspace is good. I do the out of gun thing. I set it at .075 and check it. It wont fire over .080. Then I cock it again and I can get it to go at .100. Something is moving. Im going to start over with all new guts. Im sick of effing with it. J

·
Registered
587 Posts
Upgrading lock frame

I did this about 5 years ago. Changed my USGI lock frame to an IZZY one with locking screw. Never did get it right, so I put the original one back and it has worked fine. If it aint broke don't fix it. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Timing again

Of course your gun was ok with your GI lock frame. The trigger was likely bent to achieved good timing. That bent trigger is not likely going to work as well with a Izy lock frame. If you are happy that it is OK but if my contention is correct and you install a new trigger for whatever reason timing will be an issue again.
The only way to properly set headspace is with the gun assembled. Show me a tech manual that specifies setting headspace outside the gun.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Of course your gun was ok with your GI lock frame. The trigger was likely bent to achieved good timing. That bent trigger is not likely going to work as well with a Izy lock frame. If you are happy that it is OK but if my contention is correct and you install a new trigger for whatever reason timing will be an issue again.
The only way to properly set headspace is with the gun assembled. Show me a tech manual that specifies setting headspace outside the gun.
Setting the headspace out of the gun is not proper for you and that is fine however it is an accepted method. The reason it is not in a manual is because they were written using the method that required the least amount of training for the GI with the least amount of skill. I don't believe that exists around here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts