1919 A4 Forums banner

Mystery MG/Relic

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Abominog 
#1 ·
This is weird. I guessed that it was a Japanese war time copy. No markings except 4 digit number on feed assembly. Mostly looks to be Maxim/Vickers guts with a remote cocking mechanism. Likely for aircraft use? Sorry about the image size issue.

See less See more
#4 ·
Cool Beans!

Per historywarweapons.com:

"The A6M Zero was armed with two 7.7mm Type 97 machine guns which were mounted in the engine cowling, and two 20mm Type 99 cannons mounted in the wings. It could carry up to two 132lb bombs."

#6 ·
Kirby & CaptMax ...have it nailed. This is the "Right" Type 97 (Vickers Jap Copy) for an A6M. I have the "Left" Sister weapon.
To bad we don't have a A6M in need. I'd sure like to hear some provenance on this one....mine was from a Kamikaze shot down on Okinawa.
Tirediron
You sure there's no Kanji markings at all on the top cover...(under the rust)??
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/1168/arment.jpg

Attachments

#7 ·
Kirby & CaptMax ...have it nailed. This is the "Left" Type 97 (Vickers Jap Copy) for an A6M. I have the Right Sister weapon.
To bad we don't have a A6M in need. I'd sure like to hear some provenance on this one....mine was from a Kamikaze shot down on Okinawa.
Tirediron
You sure there's no Kanji markings at all on the top cover...(under the rust)??
Please post some pictures of yours TiredIron, I'm sure others besides myself would love to see it.
CaptMax

#8 ·
This is weird. I guessed that it was a Japanese war time copy. No markings except 4 digit number on feed assembly. Mostly looks to be Maxim/Vickers guts with a remote cocking mechanism. Likely for aircraft use? Sorry about the image size issue.
You need to contact member glassmountains. He will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about Japanese Vickers guns.

#9 ·
The Japanese purchased contract Vickers guns made in England and then produced their own. They are faithful copies of the Brit guns and parts are interchangeable with the left and right versions of the Brit guns. The aircraft Jap Vickers have a number of variations in their construction compared to the ground guns. Probably not more than dozen of the Japanese made guns in the registry and a couple of the contract guns so they are quite rare and unusual. Unfortunately, in my opinion, a number of the Japanese Vickers guns have had their registered side plates cannabalized to make Brit water-cooled guns. No offense to those who have done this, just my opinion. Every couple of years an unregistered Jap Vickers shows up on the market.FWIW

#10 ·
"Every couple of years an unregistered Jap Vickers shows up on the market."

That may be case here. Even though the gun shop owner allowed me to take a look, and pix, he was cryptic on how he came to have it. His explanation included that he has notified the authorities and expected to hear back from them soon. It was the weekend, so I'll call him back this week to see how things turned out. He did say he hoped that he could keep it for shop décor. I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen. I just hope it ends up in a museum, rather than the smelter.

I didn't take a shot of the top cover to confirm, but I'm fairly certain there were no markings on the top cover.

#11 ·
...mistake made here...

With all due respect for those involved here,the dealer has made a costly error. ATF will swoop down and confiscate this piece. Dealer should have kept his mouth shut,taken piece apart and cut the RSP out of the gun. At least he would/could have made a semi and kept some value. Now...after contacting ATF...he will lose any $$$ he has in this Jap relic. The only exception here,in my opinion,is if there is some paper-work on the gun...even a de-wat....that would have placed it on the registry. Hope this works out for the guy....

#13 ·
L999here SEZ: "With all due respect for those involved here,the dealer has made a costly error. ATF will swoop down and confiscate this piece. Dealer should have kept his mouth shut,taken piece apart and cut the RSP out of the gun. At least he would/could have made a semi and kept some value. Now...after contacting ATF...he will lose any $$$ he has in this Jap relic. The only exception here,in my opinion,is if there is some paper-work on the gun...even a de-wat....that would have placed it on the registry. Hope this works out for the guy...."

Couldn't he just reply (mail/in person) "Oops, I made a mistake, I musta been dreaming. That gun was already cut up. Wanna see it?" ...
... and keep what's left?

Carry On!
Gary
><

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.