1919 A4 Forums banner

Nasty power in 30-06 case!

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Gregg 
#1 ·
I have been having some trouble getting a Garand to feed properly so I have been going through a lot of 30-06,which I thought was all my own reloads,but for the second time this afternoon I got a dud! I waited 30 seconds then ejected them off to the side,when I got home I broke them down to recover the components, when I went to dump the powder in out this is what I got,a nasty yellowish clump in the bottom of the case. The primer was nickel plated so I don't think they are too old,I have seen this in WW2 dated rounds but I don't expect it in newer one.
Any ideas?
Liquid Soil Circle Asphalt Parasite

See less See more
#2 ·
The original powder for the 30/06 was/is IMR4895....an extruded powder. However,the ball powders work best,do not clump,burn cleaner and leave less residue. Care must be taken with the M1 Garrnd,as the op rod can be damaged by too powerful a load...whichever powder is used. Powder clumps are generally found because of excessive humidity.

#3 ·
I'm a little worried because I have never loaded 30-06 with anything but 4831! I'm going to go through the rest of the rounds in the ammo can tomorrow and see if I can match them to the duds,it's not worth blowing up a Garand!
Humidity isn't something we normally have to worry about out here,it's normally below 20%!

#4 ·
I have dinked with Garand loading for some time. Not an accuracy freak, but I want it to work correctly, low on recoil as possible and mostly hit what I am shooting at. Usually paint spray cans at about 90ft. Anyway, I use 46gr IMR 4895 for Garand, with 147 gr pulls....also works in 7.7 Jap.

PJH

#6 ·
As L999 stated, 4895 was what the '06 was originally loaded with. Your recipe is almost the exact same as mine.

Hey 47lincsled, this ammo you are having issues with, are they your own handloads? I assume they are judging by your last post about getting 4831 for cheap. Maybe your ammo got contaminated. Did it sit in your hopper too long? Ive only seen clumping like that in REALLY poorly stored ammo. The last time I saw that kind of powder was a batch of x54R that looked like it had been salvaged from a deep water wreck.

#5 ·
I use the 4831 because when I got started an old guy at a yard sale sold me a bunch for $1 a pound,and then a couple years ago another old guy gave me a sealed five gallon can plus a one gallon can so it's what I have an it works well, a little hard getting it through the powder measure but if you use a Dillon magnum powder measure it works great.
I sorted through the ammo can of rounds this afternoon, I had to shake and listen to each round,if I couldn't hear the powder shake I sat it aside,when I can walk again I'll break them down and see how I did.

#7 ·
The powder in the picture is some kind of ball,which I don't remember ever loading,but as I was going through this box today I found some WW2 dated AP rounds!
I've never been one of those reloaders that was overly anal about keeping track of all the different aspects of my rounds,it's just blasting ammo not long range target shooting!

#8 ·
Powders, including loaded ammo when subjected to either high humidity or temperatures for extended time will degrade. Stabilizers added to powders during manufacturing are slowly consumed by acids within the powder, the higher the storage temperature, the faster they deteriorate. When this occurs powders typically turn to yellow, orange or brown colors and normally smell acidic. Besides dry, always store your ammo in a cool or cold environment.

#9 ·
Over the years I have loaded 10's of thousands of rounds with the 4831 and I have never had one do this! All of my loaded ammo is kept in the house so the temps should never vary more then 20-30 degrees.
But from your description this is mostly likely moisture degradation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.