1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm getting to old to fully load my 47 rounds in my dp-28. Heard there are crank "things" that can so it. Anyone heard of one or have one to sell?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I know they exist(ed), but haven't ever seen one in the wild or for sale. I have found that using a small stick to go through the ring on top and using that to crank the mag around as you load is about as good as it gets. Any device I have thought of to sit the pan mag in or otherwise torque it usually comes out too large and heavy to bother taking to the range.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've loaded the pans by hand for many years and had no issues filling them. There was originally a loader but I've only seen 2 in the last 25 years that were original. Someone made some new loaders a few years back that I saw at Knob Creek. The problem with most of the loaders is that they make things even more complex than sitting the thing in your lap and loading. I think that is why there are so few originals left. Just use one hand to pull the little tab around and the other to drop rounds in the feed mouth. You'll get the hang of it after a few.

Frank

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I The problem with most of the loaders is that they make things even more complex than sitting the thing in your lap and loading. I think that is why there are so few originals left.

Frank
wow, complex is right.

don't have a DP, but for s^its s and giggles decided to GOOGE it, man it is complex and complicated piece of equipment

view the downloadable soviet manual for it...

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/rakov-dp-28-magazine-loader/

only thing I found that doesn't look too complex or complicated to make, is a picture of a home made one, not exactly sure how it works. but from from your description,

"Just use one hand to pull the little tab around and the other to drop rounds in the feed mouth"

and looking at it, it looks like you use that small metal thing on the base "pull the tab" ? then use the lever and push the rounds in?

·
Registered
188 Posts
The first one shown above was available from Allegheny Arsenal several years ago but I don't know if they still have them. Bob's is original ComBloc mfg. There is also one that was handheld, sort of like a large pair of pliers that is shown in some DP/DPM manuals.

I built one from scrap materials (out of a buddy's metal working shop scrap dumpster - yeah, dumpster diving, I know, I know!!!), square key stock, .041 music wire for main spring and a ball point pen spring for the pawl. These loaders are basically a one-way ratchet assembly that pulls the mag's inner rotating parts forward enough to load one cartridge but not much further. If you go too far in rotating the inner mag parts, you'll skip a mag cartridge holding "notch" on the mag's inner rotating assembly. The "main spring" was wound with my own crude hand made spring winding tools. That spring should be properly heat treated but I don't have the equipment to do so and so if it breaks, I'll just make another.

The loader's ratchet pawl is ground with a curve and set at an angle on the loader's moving lever. That way the pawl engages the curved slots in mag's underside rotating parts

The tolerances are such that it works with all mags that I've tried it with.

See pics. It's not pretty (my welding skills are poor at best!!!) but it does work very well.

20181004_192925.jpg 20181004_193011.jpg 20181004_193101.jpg 20181004_193111.jpg

·
Registered
126 Posts
There was an small, hand held, squeeze the handle type of a field disc loader, I saw a live one years ago, and tried it, it worked, but it was a hard squeeze to get it to shove the round in. There was one or more for sale from an Estonian Ebay several months ago, looked like a barn find war pickup. Not cheap from what I remember, About $300+ for a rusty workable one. Never even heard of a crank type loader for this type of a disk.

Hope it helps. Jim.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
>The first one shown above was available from Allegheny Arsenal several years ago but I don't know if they still have them. Bob's is original ComBloc mfg.<

Just to be clear I posted two posts of the same loader above, the Russian made field loader for the pans. While I bought a quantity of 1910 stuff from allegheny Arsenal in the mid 1990s, I don't recall that the four of these small loaders that I bought came from Allegheny. I bought them in 2008.
The squeeze loader in the manuals doesn't seem to ever have shown up anywhere that I know of and I am always on the hunt for Russian and Com Bloc accessories for MGs.

Nice work on the home made loaders. there are a number of examples of workshop made loaders.

·
Registered
228 Posts
DP28 pan loaders

I have one of the original squeeze type Barkov Tools, quite rusty but still works. I'll try to get a picture up later.

·
Registered
188 Posts
>The first one shown above was available from Allegheny Arsenal several years ago but I don't know if they still have them. Bob's is original ComBloc mfg.<

Just to be clear I posted two posts of the same loader above, the Russian made field loader for the pans. While I bought a quantity of 1910 stuff from allegheny Arsenal in the mid 1990s, I don't recall that the four of these small loaders that I bought came from Allegheny. I bought them in 2008.
The squeeze loader in the manuals doesn't seem to ever have shown up anywhere that I know of and I am always on the hunt for Russian and Com Bloc accessories for MGs.

Nice work on the home made loaders. there are a number of examples of workshop made loaders.
I'm referring to Slowfire's Armslist photo. It is Allegheny's commercial design that they manufactured (or had manufactured) and sold in the late 1990's or 2000's. They most assuredly were not ComBloc. I do think Allegheny patented the design - or at least tried to do so.

Several years back someone here posted some of the ComBloc pliers/squeeze versions for sale. They were all off-shore and if I recall over $300/ea. + S&H.

Beside the Soviets, I'd have to think that the Poles made a version (they made an excellent SGM/PK/PKM belt loader). I don't know what other ComBloc countries (in the Soviet sphere) used or manufactured the DP/DPM series. Most of them, I'd guess?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I'm referring to Slowfire's Armslist photo. It is Allegheny's commercial design that they manufactured (or had manufactured) and sold in the late 1990's or 2000's. They most assuredly were not ComBloc. I do think Allegheny patented the design - or at least tried to do so.

Several years back someone here posted some of the ComBloc pliers/squeeze versions for sale. They were all off-shore and if I recall over $300/ea. + S&H.

Beside the Soviets, I'd have to think that the Poles made a version (they made an excellent SGM/PK/PKM belt loader). I don't know what other ComBloc countries (in the Soviet sphere) used or manufactured the DP/DPM series. Most of them, I'd guess?
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I vaguely recall that Greg had some loaders made but for some reason never saw one. Now that you mention it, I remember the loaders offered at one time that were in really bad condition for high money and thought that maybe some in decent shape might show up. Wanted one for my collection as I'm a fan of Russian MGs of all types. No more have shown up of course.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That would do for me! Selling by any chance?

Small Russian DP pan loader.
This little loader works perfectly even when the pans are not in the best of condition.
That looks like what I'n trying to find. Are you selling or do you know where I could buy one?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
>That looks like what I'n trying to find. Are you selling or do you know where I could buy one?<

As the years have passed no more of these loaders have appeared for sale anywhere from any source of which I am aware. I am not selling the examples I own which are both useful and part of a collection.
The best possible source of info on them and possibly purchase would be one of the Russian MG sites and keep a watch on GB as there is a thriving commerce from Poland and other eastern european countries for all such items.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Anyway!

I will. Thanks anyway. I'm knew to this site but find it very informative.

Have a nice day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts