1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I have a buddy here in Philly who has wanted an AR for a long time and his wife, kids and family members have all chipped in for it so they can get him one for Christmas. They have 1k to throw at it and I know he wants an oblique rail on it in an M4 configuration but also wants to varmint hunt with it. Would you go with two separate uppers or a mid weight barrel on one upper? I am not up on the market of these and quite frankly there are so many choices and suppliers these days I am overwhelmed by it. I could use some pointers on where to send the kids as they are not gun guys and know little of this hobby so I am interested in what you think, any advice is appreciated. are there any killer deals out there these days as the market seems to be flooded with nothing but AR stuff. Russ

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Partly depends on what he means by "varmint hunting". Rabbits at 50 yards or woodchuck at 500?

A decent quality lower and two uppers aren't going to happen for a grand so knowing how and what he wants to shoot with it will have to take priority over how he wants it to look.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Complete ARs and parts have probably never been cheaper. Decent quality stripped lowers can be had for as low as $40 and Brownells has complete Bushmaster rifle or carbine lowers for $199. That leaves a lot of extra for other parts. Sure, top of the line/specialty barrels and parts can still be pricey but starter ARs can easily be had these days for $500. Palmetto State Armory is also a good place for complete rifles, complete uppers, kits and anything in between.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Complete ARs and parts have probably never been cheaper. Decent quality stripped lowers can be had for as low as $40 and Brownells has complete Bushmaster rifle or carbine lowers for $199. That leaves a lot of extra for other parts. Sure, top of the line/specialty barrels and parts can still be pricey but starter ARs can easily be had these days for $500. Palmetto State Armory is also a good place for complete rifles, complete uppers, kits and anything in between.
this is pretty good advice.

im not a bushmaster fan.... they are usually pretty low on the QC end, or they are grade 2 left overs.

but AR's are AR's.

no matter what brand you buy or blank you build from.... theres only a few forges that make them & they do so for all the different brands they put onto them.

the grade they get usually decides which pile they go into, which decides who's name pile they are going to... (ive got all the codes/forges/makes posted if you need it.)

so unless your doing a custom 1 off billet? or just have to have "colt" on it? not much point in spending a pile of money for what is still just an AR when your done.

$1K now days for an AR can get you some very nice fluted barrels with trick handgaurds & all kinds of ninja stuff. ;-)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
http://palmettostatearmory.com

Then click on tabs for deals.
Ditto.

I have to disagree with Karl, in my experience DPMS is low-end.

If he wants an M4 style then he needs an adjustable stock. If he wants a varminter, he wants a full stock. So in other words he needs two different rifles, with two different optics. Tell him to pick one of them, or get one rifle that is OK for general applications.

Corvette-Uhaul = minivan.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I cant speak to the Quality of current Bushmaster since the freedom buyout , but their guns made 10+ Years ago were of very high quality. I have never seen a really high quality DPMS, including the $3k SASS. New Colts can be had in the sub $700 range minus furniture, although they no longer machine the bulk of components as they did in the past, but instead just assemble from suppliers like everyone else

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the great info guys I knew I would find the answers here. I will try and find him a earlier Colt in either an M4 or A4 configuration and steer his boys in that direction. Thank goodness I bought mine years ago, all three are Colts and preban (if that even exists anymore) too many choices and options today for me to deal with. At the end of the day it is just an AR no matter who makes it I still prefer the 308 platform for a battle rifle you can keep the 556 IMHO

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
AH but the AR is now the Swiss Army Knife of platforms 22LR to 458 Socom , 50 Bewolf and 50 BMG with a whole world of calibers in between :D Much as i do not like them i own a pile of them :confused: but i am with Toolman 7.62 X 51 is my default choice !

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Russ just remember that the earlier Colt hinge pin is in a different location than most uppers available. They make an offset hinge pin but lockup is a minor pain. I'd opt for a newer receiver or rifle set up the way you want - the hinge pin won't be a factor that way.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
sdk1968 SEZ: ".... ive got all the codes/forges/makes posted if you need it....

I'd like to see that, either posted here or PM'd. I'd imagine others would like to see it too. Thanks.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Plus one on what BTWIEST sez. You cannot go wrong with the 6920 by Colt. It is flat out a nicer firearm than the others, especially for the price. Look at about 1K for vanilla up to 1,200 for a few adders. J

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Plus one on what BTWIEST sez. You cannot go wrong with the 6920 by Colt. It is flat out a nicer firearm than the others, especially for the price. Look at about 1K for vanilla up to 1,200 for a few adders. J
Agreed I think you are both correct and I have always been a Colt fan so that is the route I am going to tell the boys to go. I am pretty sure he will be happy with it and he can add the bells and whistles later and pimp it up to his liking. Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
there may be some newer ones that we dont have... as a new Ar maker pops up everyday.

but here is the list that we do have "confirmed"

(sorry for the delay, hadnt logged in here in a bit..)

remember it doesnt matter who's name is stamped on the reciever (DPMS, RockRiver, S&W, DELTON, COLT, CMMG etc)... these marks are primarily for the actual FORGE that cast them.

some people think this is a big deal & others? not so much.

here's the info:

A (splintered) = Anchor Harvey Aluminum
AF = Alcoa Forge
C AF = Colt Alco Forge
C MB = Colt / Mueller Brass
Cardinal (stylized) = Cardinal Forge
CH = Colt Harvey Aluminum
Circle/Crosshairs w/"AR" = ArmaLite
CK = Colt / Kaiser Aluminum
CM = Colt / Martin Marietta
D (stylized) = Diemaco
DK = Diemaco / Kaiser Aluminum