1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received some of my shipment in and I want to double check what these are. I think the first 2 are 1909 Maxim. I know the barrel with a sleeve is a mg08/15 but is the barrel with out it a mg08 or mg08/15? I also noticed that some have a cardboard in the band just forward of the breech is this from being NOS?

·
Registered
561 Posts
The two on the right do appear to be MG08 / MG08/15 barrels. The barrels are the same, the difference is in a 08/15 you add the sleeve. I'd have to see the markings to be sure.

Not sure on the others, what caliber are they?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The other barrel has 7.53 and 7.51 had written on it. I just re-measured it with my calipers they are 7.65

The barrel on the left is the 08/15 with a sleeve

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Copper plated Maxim barrel, marked with #156 and #53 with the slots in the barrel extension is for the Argentine Maxim.
The other one is not for the Argentine, but if it is 7.65 it is for an early contract Maxim for another SA country that used 7.65…..is it actually 7.65?
Packing in the packing groove….not cardboard.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Copper plated Maxim barrel, marked with #156 and #53 with the slots in the barrel extension is for the Argentine Maxim.
The other one is not for the Argentine, but if it is 7.65 it is for an early contract Maxim for another SA country that used 7.65…..is it actually 7.65?
Packing in the packing groove….not cardboard.

Just rechecked and the calipers read 7.65. The extensions are identical the only difference is that I can see is the mark next to the C on #156. Both are copper plated, 1 is just dirty

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
OK. I see now that the #53 is the other barrel, not the opposite side of the #156 barrel. You placed one barrel with the extension slots up and the other with the slots down and then reversed them. Both are Argentine barrels.
You might post on the Bowers and Sturngewehr sites that you have those two numbered Argentine barrels so that the owners of those numbered guns, if they are out there, can have a chance to acquire the barrels for their guns.
I have picked up accessory, numbered barrels for the two Argentine Maxims that I own.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are a couple more I need help with. I though that they were Vickers but they are 4 inches shorter

And I am still stumped from when I asked about it in November. What is the one with the ribs?

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Degtyaryov DS-39

maybe?.............fins are different:(

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Kyle

What is the diameter of the bbl on the Big end?

In front of the threads?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Here are a couple more I need help with. I though that they were Vickers but they are 4 inches shorter

Would these barrels be for the Argentine short jacket Vickers?
The caliber is 7.65 and the barrel length is 24 inches.
I think it is called a 1930 model?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kyle

What is the diameter of the bbl on the Big end?

In front of the threads?
It is 39.8mm or 1 9/16in

Would these barrels be for the Argentine short jacket Vickers?
The caliber is 7.65 and the barrel length is 24 inches.
I think it is called a 1930 model?

I did not know that there was a Argentine version made. But yes the length is 24 Inches so I guess that would make sense for those 2 barrels

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
It is for the French AV34 aircraft machine gun in 7.5mm French which was drum fed, using the same type of drum used in the M31 French tank machine gun. I have a customer's AV34 gun in the shop for reactivation, but the barrel is in good condition. The M34 I have here is the only example of a French aircraft MG I have ever encountered for heard of in the US, so the barrel you have is going to be difficult to sell.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is for the French AV34 aircraft machine gun in 7.5mm French which was drum fed, using the same type of drum used in the M31 French tank machine gun. I have a customer's AV34 gun in the shop for reactivation, but the barrel is in good condition. The M34 I have here is the only example of a French aircraft MG I have ever encountered for heard of in the US, so the barrel you have is going to be difficult to sell.
Thank you for helping me out with all of these parts that I was clueless on! If you find that you can use this or she can you will know where to fine one :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts