1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm trying to remove the gear shaft portion from the T and E body. Does anyone know to perform a COMPLETE disassembly of these part? Or a schematic. Just the part pictured. Many thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
WARNING that stem has a tail on the bottom to limit the height it can move . Excessive force can break it off .
It's been awhile , but I'll try .
You will need the proper lower and upper tools to properly remove it .
You first remove the cover nut inside the elevation knob using the hex end of the lower tool . The elevation knob may now come off , but you may have to flip the socket and remove the slotted inner nut first ( it's been awhile ) . You may have to use the upper tool in the slots to hold it tight . Once the inner nut is removed you unscrew the inner shafts using the upper tool . After that it's straight forward , just remember the order the shims and washers were stacked as you remove them .
Chris

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tga
WARNING that stem has a tail on the bottom to limit the height it can move . Excessive force can break it off .
It's been awhile , but I'll try .
You will need the proper lower and upper tools to properly remove it .
You first remove the cover nut inside the elevation knob using the hex end of the lower tool . The elevation knob may now come off , but you may have to flip the socket and remove the slotted inner nut first ( it's been awhile ) . You may have to use the upper tool in the slots to hold it tight . Once the inner nut is removed you unscrew the inner shafts using the upper tool . After that it's straight forward , just remember the order the shims

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I believe they are called M-5 and M-6 , but I'm not sure . I'll check to see if I still have a set . Sold all my 1917 / 1919 stuff except for one T&E like whay we are talking about , so mine migh be long gone .
Chris

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
Having both wrenches is critical to disassembly and assembly of the T&E and they are not expensive so certainly worth owning if you are going to use the 1917A1 tripods.

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
M5's are fairly common the M8's are a bit tougher to find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts