1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its seems a big scoped riffle takes up as much room as a 1919 maybe more due to barrel length volume wise. Pistol racks didn't help that much and are now getting bumped around as much as the long guns. I was thinking about a bottom shelve that could hold anything I could break down like uppers or shotgun barrels, then using those plastic velcro barrel rods. I just don't trust those rods having enough holding strength for heavy guns. If they won't hold the heavy stuff like a semi DP28 or bull barrel long guns then my idea won't work. How long does the velcro rods last with alot of use? Limited on space for another safe at the moment.

Searched for threads on safes and found a neat idea about a wood block to support the back plates on brownings, any other storage ideas?
Thanks, Aaron

·
Registered
363 Posts
I was just thinking of this today...how am I gonna fit a 1919 in my safe. Gonna have to get creative!

I got rid of my shelves to make room for guns, and put my pistols in one of those door hangers. If you're a pistol guy there's not enough room there...but I think it'll hold 10 or 12 so not too bad.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Most of us rack the brownings muzzle down which helps, same for my 1917a1. Course that one takes up 2 spaces.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
I bought a few of these and modified/put together with threaded rod in a long row to fill the back of a safe shelf (looks like they're now available in 6 pistol models). I found the individual slots to be too wide and wasting a lot of space so I cut spacers and added dividers. Don't remember how many places wide I ended up with but it allowed boxes to go elsewhere, freed up a good bit of shelf space, and gave me room for another full shelf. Then I bought a bunch "socks" and broke ARs down to uppers and lowers that went on the extra shelf space and freed up long gun room.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The rods work fine. They hold up well. I've used them for several years now with garands, Enfields, etc. no problem whatsoever. Just make sure the carpeting above where they attach is sufficient and holds. And then get another safe. :tongue:
I haven't used the rods with large stuff like A4's, etc, but I have a dedicated safe for the Vickers, Bren, etc.

·
Registered
338 Posts
A while back when Hugh Heffner complained about the mansion being crowded with bunnies, no one came up with any good answers either.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Answers

My answer for both questions would be the same,"send the extras to me!"
But really, I have the same problem,if you make enough room for rifles or 1919'd you don't have any handgun/mag storage, I made the mistake of mentioning to my wife that I just needed to build a cinder block room onto the back of the house to store everything and she drew up some plans! If only I had the money!

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
47lincsled SEZ: ".... build a cinder block room onto the back of the house to store everything ...."

Oh yeah! You do that, and don't forget to include your address and when everyone'll be away from home for about an hour or so!

Or you might want to just buy a bigger safe than you can think you'd ever be able to fill up, bolt it to a 6" concrete slab in your basement, add a heat drier, get some good firearms insurance and rest peacefully.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your ideas. The bottom shelve is definitely not going to work. The door organizers scare me, aren't you concerned about the velcro coming off a pistol pouch and dropping? Might be ok if I had the pouches sewed to the mat. Going to try rods seems the cheapest way first and if I don't like them going with another safe and bolting them together.
Dang- you beat me to it. and yes, building a room is a better option.
Room 1
View attachment 18425

Room 2
View attachment 18433

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks for your ideas. The bottom shelve is definitely not going to work. The door organizers scare me, aren't you concerned about the velcro coming off a pistol pouch and dropping? Might be ok if I had the pouches sewed to the mat. Going to try rods seems the cheapest way first and if I don't like them going with another safe and bolting them together.
My door pouches are stitched to a backing board and the board is fastened to the door...aint no way they're coming off. There's lots of versions out there but the ones my safe came with seem very robust.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
safe room

If I ever did build a room the door would be made out of at least 3/8 plate and the cinder blocks would be filled with cement,but where I am I'm not too worried about that kind of thing, all the garbage in town knows what would happen if they are caught down at my place!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Defineately a room.....but

A fellow I know in central Ohio built an above ground room 30x16 from poured walls, floor & roof in one unit w/proper amount of rebars & pieces of firewood imbedded so as to create a choking smoke if someone tired to saw through, entered through 4x6 multilayer bank safe style door.. Mine is not so fancy.....but being under ground helps off set that........and high dollar security system along w/really good relationship w/several local policeman & deputies & trusted tenant next door.

Photo suggestions for interior decor..........

PJH

South wall........

General view.......S to N

General view.........N to S.

Mid room support wall w/work bench on the other side.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts