1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into a bit of a find recently – several boxes of demilled cannon parts from a Mig-17 that had come over to the US in the late 1980s, as the Cold War was letting up a bit. This was literally the fantasy find in a warehouse that we all dream of. They were dirty and greasy and were tossed in the back of a warehouse and had been left there for about a quarter of a century.

Usually the cannon are pulled before they come into the country, but these were demilled and tossed into several boxes for shipment. They didn’t have the barrels or they were kept on the Mig aircraft. After some serious sorting (like putting several jigsaw puzzles together, when the pieces are mixed and you don’t have a picture to work with), I found I had nearly complete parts for a N-37 and NR-23. I also had an extra torch cut N-37 receiver too, which led me to believe that the stories that the Mig 17 had 1 N-37 and 2 NR-23 cannons isn’t always true. This may have been for a ground attack Mig, since it had 2 N-37s, which were anti-tank cannon.

Interesting story on the NR-23. Not only was it a cannon that was used by several Warsaw Pact aircraft, it is the only weapon installed on a manned spacecraft – Russian of course.

Anyway, having sorted out the pieces, I’m looking at trying to build non-operating display cannon. There are several pictures of them in museums on the web, but nothing on their internals. Does anyone have additional information like schematics? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Very cool, that is a good find! I had to look them up to see what they looked like, but the 37's would make a cool display. Put some pictures up when you get them together enough to display.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! The 37 is going to be big. I laid the receiver out and it is over 4 feet long by itself - and heavy! The bolt is 19 inches long. It's obvious the Russians borrowed from several designs, including John Browning and the Germans.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Thanks! The 37 is going to be big. I laid the receiver out and it is over 4 feet long by itself - and heavy! The bolt is 19 inches long. It's obvious the Russians borrowed from several designs, including John Browning and the Germans.
Are these the ones that Don had in his warehouse in Tucson?

·
Registered
113 Posts
You may be surprised to find that a number of the MIGs imported into the US back in the 80's had guns in them....
I helped unpack a MIG 15 and a MIG 17 in about 1988 and the 15 had live untouched guns in the fuselage with ammo in the feedways. The 17 didn't have any ammo in the feedways but there were a few rounds linked up. We weren't sure how they got through customs but they did. The owner went ballistic when he found out and immediately called the police. The cops showed up a few hours later and the owner demanded they take the guns with them......they didn't have big enough room in their cars though. The sheriffs office sent a truck out a couple weeks later to get them. I don't know what happened to them in the end but I've heard stories from others in the aircraft industry that this was not an isolated case. . . There was a saw cut kit for sale at a shoot I went to some years back for the 37mm gun. The guy had a bunch of belted ammo too so I have a feeling the gun came out of one of the import MIGs.
There are some guys out there who have worked on these things but you'll probably have to try some of the other boards like Subguns.com or sturmgewehr.com to find them. Ira Sellers comes to mind but I can't remember the name of his company....big bore limited or something like that....

neat guns

Frank

·
Registered
320 Posts
A friend in Texas went in on a deal to get some surplus eastern-bloc fighters into the country (buy a dozen, hope there's enough parts to keep a few flyable kind of thing).

Anyway he said the sellers were surprised that they didn't want the 30mm cannons seeing as how they were so close to Mexico and all..... :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts