1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone own a Romanian RPK in 7.62x 39 cal. How do you like it and how accurate is it? Looking at the ones AIM has for sale looks like a nice rifle but wanted to know more about them. :D

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Rpk

I bought my parts kit from Copes Distriubting, Romn kit, great shape and the barrel has lots of life in it, bullet only sticks out 1/4". I built the kit on a DCI, Nodak Spud reciever, you have to drill the holes for front and rear trunion, but it shoots great, with no or little muzzle movement. Its a lead thrower.

·
Registered
273 Posts
dew to the nature of the AK design if you get 4 moa at 100 yards your doing good.. the RPK is no exception..
Keep in mind that the RPK was a light machine gun and the ones that are in kit form with the origional barrels may have seen heavy use..

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
AK Accuracy

I have one of the Hungarian AK Tankers with the sidefolding stock I built about 1-2 years ago when the kits were CHEAP ($60 from TAPCO), and it is one of the most accurate AK I have seen. From a rest at 100 yds, it will hold 2-3" all day. I did a little honing on the FCG and the let is sweet! The kit looked almost new and the bore was perfect. Maybe this one was an accident get such a good kit. Also, the time I took in building it may have helped. I used an 80% receiver, drilled all the holes and made all the cuts. I made SURE the lower rails were in the correct plane to the front trunnion. The bolts slides on them like sliding on glass.

All the other AKs I have are 3-4 moa at 100 yds. Still not bad for a great rifle.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Rpk:

I'm probably off base here, but will comment, just in case. If it's actually an RPK for which you're looking, I can't help you much. The Romanian "sniper rifle," of which too many of our troops over there in the sandbox are seeing too many of the wrong end of, is actually a "PSL" (and I don't know the
Romanian translation off the top of my head) and is commonly not only known as, but even incorrectly marked as the Dragonov. It is not a Draganov, but is closely designed after the Russian RPK, and is originally chamber in 7.62x54r, and most recently in .308, as well.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rpk

Hi GWR1,
Not looking at a sniper version. AIM is selling a Romanian copy of the 7.62x39 RPK. Nice looking rifle but if it's not much more accurate than a AK I think I will pass. Just been looking around and it caught my fancy.

Thanks for the info. :D

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Much can be improved with a little trigger work as Abwehr pointed out.

Allot of the inaccuracy is due to the motion of the guts sliding back and forth within the reciever and how that energy is transmitted to you the shooter. The weight of these components are to blame along with the amount of slop engineered into the components. It is a battle rifle, plain and simple.

Grouping can be vastly improved however but if you're not a tinkerer then don't waste your money on them. The PSL/ROMAK3 is no exception to this but it is an improvment over the standard Kalashnikov design as far as slop goes. It's still not a SVD though.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I've owned a bunch of standard AK's (all original factory build) and about the best I could get out of them with Wolf ammo is about 8-10 inch groups at 100 yards. That might be improved somewhat with hand-loads, although I've never tried it. The design of the AK and sloppy construction, combined with crappy sights, a short sight radius and sub-standard quality ammo, does not make for a good combination for accuracy.

I also have owned an RPD, which would shoot about 6 inch groups at 100 yards w/ Wolf ammo. I suspect an RPK would probably match that level of accuracy, due to it's longer sight radius and barrel.

Note: Using the factory bipod will cause your groups to go to hell as well as raise the point of impact about 10 inches.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,333 Posts
you guys ever shoot a VEPR K most accurate AK i have ever come across built in russia on an RPK frame and trunnion, groups 1-1/2 " with decent ammo, barrel is almost 1" made from captured german krieg steel ,6 bills but worth it

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
belt fed frog said:
you guys ever shoot a VEPR K most accurate AK i have ever come across built in russia on an RPK frame and trunnion, groups 1-1/2 " with decent ammo, barrel is almost 1" made from captured german krieg steel ,6 bills but worth it
Yes those are designed from the ground up as sporting weapons. Big difference.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts