1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im heading to a gunshow this weekend and maybe Ill find some powder. Im still brand new to this hobby and was wondering if there is a powder that can be used for 308, 30.06 and 30 Carbine? ( Im only loading pistol ammo so far, but may broaden to rifle soon). Is there a good all around powder that will work for all 3 calibers?

·
Registered
322 Posts
No
you need a faster powder for the 30 carbine like W-296. think of it as a pistol round

you can use IMR 4895 in both the others

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No
you need a faster powder for the 30 carbine like W-296. think of it as a pistol round

you can use IMR 4895 in both the others
Thanks for the no BS answer. Too many people make reloading way too over complicated. I like simple yes and no.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you can use 4895 for 270win to just incase you get to that one
Havnt you done enough damage already!!?? You got me into all this in the first place!! :eek:

(wrenchin was my reloading mentor. The guy donated to me a HUGE amount of supplies and cases, dies and powders to get me started in reloading. )

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
IMR4895 is what I use, let us know if you find a source that has the 8# jugs available.
CaptMax

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
.30 carbine

I used to use blue dot for my .30 carbine, but since no one has seen any in 5 years I've had to find something else, and since powder location is hit or miss even now day I looked up a bunch of different powder to load with before I went looking, the only powder I could find on the shelf that I had a recipe for was "LiL Gun" they list a starting load at 14 grains, which is a lot of powder,I was only using 8 grains of blue dot,I haven't started using it yet so I don't know how it works,I have to finish up the 700 rounds of 30-06 I started this winter!

·
Registered
983 Posts
IMR4895 is a very good goto powder for the .308 and .30-06. Just understand that certain firearms do not like certain powders. Meaning just because a bolt gun loves powder A does not mean that a Garand or 1919 will like powder A. Not meaning the IMR 4895 but do your research on your particular firearm you are reloading for. The above powder works well with Garands, 1903, and 1919's that I shoot. I am not intending to muddle the waters but just pointing out a problem I ran into early in reloading. A powder my speer manual said would be great for the .30-06 just did not cycle the bolt on the M1. Accurate in the 1903 though. I talked to an experienced reloader about the issue and he explained the theory of burn rates and gas tubes and why some work better than others. Good luck finding any large jugs of it right now though. And enjoy reloading.

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
...ball vs extruded or flake....

Due to the shortage of many types of powder...and the reasons for it...most experienced reloaders are trying to make adjustments and changes in their powder usage. As the only reloading shop within 250 miles of South Bend,I've taken particular attention to this problem. The US military spec has been for ball powder for the .223 and .308 cartridges. IMR #4895 is an extruded powder and was the standard for 30/06 since 1906. It is also excellent for .308 and .223. However...it does not meter well thru most powder measures because it is extruded. Because Winchester bought Accurate Arms several years ago,the AA#2230 powder that was developed for .223 has been scarce and difficult to find. This was the 'GO to" powder for .223 reloading. The Chec co. that was making AA powder when Win bought them is still making AA#2460 and has shipped some over here. AA#2460 was developed specifically for .308 but covers everything from .17 Rem to 300 Win Mag. They are also sending AA#1680 and it is recommended for .300 BO,.30 carbine and 7.62x39 and several other pistol and small rifle cals. Those two types...AA#2460 and AA#1680..will load just about everything in rifle cals and I highly recommend them. I also bought several hundred pounds of both because they are so good and I was in the right place at the right time. They come from the Chec factory (Lovix) in #33 and #44 kegs and Obama has tried/is trying to limit their US entry. Because of shipping restrictions,I don't ship any powders or primers and had to take a day trip to pick up over 1.5K # of these powders. My customers...many 3-gun shooters...are switching to these ball powders and getting excellent results.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im still fairly new to reloading and whats really frustrating to me is that everyone has different recipes. I cant just go out and buy 5 different types of powder and try them all. Time and money is limited. Im trying to find an average, well established powder and load for .06, 308, maybe a few other calibers and was hoping one powder may fit the bill. Im not looking for Olympic accuracy here, I just want the weapon to function and be able to hit the target as well as off the shelf ammo will. 4895 sounds like it may work. Then there is the next problem....actually finding powder here in NY...Doesn't it figure that when I finally get into this hobby, all the supplies are exhausted!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Im still fairly new to reloading and whats really frustrating to me is that everyone has different recipes. I cant just go out and buy 5 different types of powder and try them all. Time and money is limited. Im trying to find an average, well established powder and load for .06, 308, maybe a few other calibers and was hoping one powder may fit the bill. Im not looking for Olympic accuracy here, I just want the weapon to function and be able to hit the target as well as off the shelf ammo will. 4895 sounds like it may work. Then there is the next problem....actually finding powder here in NY...Doesn't it figure that when I finally get into this hobby, all the supplies are exhausted!
Mail order is your friend once you find something you like. I buy at least 40lbs at a time and then I'm good for a year or so.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Scott;

You're working with legacy cartridges here, there is a ton of data (and opinions) to be had out there.

Component preference is something like vehicle owners. A half ton pickup will do the job but there is no consensus as to which mfr makes the best. A 'chevy' man will advocate over a 'ford' man. In the end they both can do the work. There is no one powder solution, and yes you have the freedom to experiment and fine tune to your particular rifles which can be a daunting idea to somebody who wants to get it right out of the gate. That's half the allure of reloading. Complete freedom to choose.

Ball powders typically meter well, so if you subscribe to the powder volume theory, they are good choices. Many think they go best with a magnum primer. Think about a piece of wood, if it's round it's hard to get burning over a stick. If you subscribe to the weight powder charge theory, and trickle the kernels to the 'dead nothing' on the scale, then look to stick/kernel styles of powder. You can trickle ball powder too, but my equipment and style tends to incline away from this idea.

As long as you follow published recipes from trusted sources, life will be good. When you get obsessed with accuracy expect your powder inventory to become more diverse. Best bet is to go to a store and buy a pound then try it out. At 7,000 grains per pound, the larger rifle cartridges will consume it fast enough to not force you into a long term commitment.

B-D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts