1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boat trailer came out of the Potomac River.....salt water...... It is made of 4" channel and some tubes. All of the original paint is gone, has been for some time. I would like to brush paint it over the slightly rusty (nothing scaly.....yet) condition. I priced sandblast & primer, $1800., empty trailer. Where to put the boat while this is happening.?? He wouldnt paint. Never bothered with that estimate.

Anyway, Donna insists we boat as long as it is a trouble free event........has been since 1980.

Gotta be some suitable brush on paint....cant hang the boat in the ceiling to spray it.

PJH

·
Registered
114 Posts
My boat trailer came out of the Potomac River.....salt water...... It is made of 4" channel and some tubes. All of the original paint is gone, has been for some time. I would like to brush paint it over the slightly rusty (nothing scaly.....yet) condition. I priced sandblast & primer, $1800., empty trailer. Where to put the boat while this is happening.?? He wouldnt paint. Never bothered with that estimate.

Anyway, Donna insists we boat as long as it is a trouble free event........has been since 1980.

Gotta be some suitable brush on paint....cant hang the boat in the ceiling to spray it.

PJH
Go to your local Napa auto parts store, get some Permatex rust treatment part # PTX 7651232, brush it on the rusty metal goes on white looking but kills rust and seals metal when dry turns to a black coating that then can be painted over. Use some Rustoleum outdoor paint for doing metal items like lawn furnature and such can get at Home Depot in gallon cans, the rust treatment is great used it on many vehicles that had rusty frames and floorboards..

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Theres also a similar product called 'POR 15' that all the rage in the automotive community. I was very active on a Corvette forum for years and everyone used POR 15 on their frame restorations.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Rustoleum also makes a brush on red oxide like primer/rust sealer (Rust-Oleum Brands 7769502 Rusty Metal Primer) that is designed to go right over a rusty surface. I bought it at home depot and I used it on the interior metal box that a ceiling fan goes into and after 10 years the paint looks perfect. I think after applying it you could put a Rustoleum colored enamel on top of it.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Theres also a similar product called 'POR 15' that all the rage in the automotive community. I was very active on a Corvette forum for years and everyone used POR 15 on their frame restorations.
POR15 works really well, it's not cheap but it is good.
Greg

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I will agree POR15 is terrific. Used it on many restorations. Might get lucky and find a powder coating guy who will give you a quote cheaper than painting. We have a local guy here who is half what the painters want and he sandblasts before he powder coats! 👍🏻
CaptMax

Reactions: GBYENKO

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you use Por 15 make sure you get one of the colors that does not need a top coat. Black por 15 is not UV stable and breaks down in sunlight. Eastwood also sells their rust encapsulator line which works great and they have great tech support and how too videos on their web site. Also i believe the eastwood products are all uv stable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts