1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got a good source for military OD green paint? I'd love to get hold of the stuff they use on ammo cans, that stuff seems bulletproof. Otherwise the stuff they use on vehicles is what I need.

I'm painting a small vehicle OD green and probably only need a gallon.

If I can get it shipped into CA that would be awesome, otherwise I have someone that can receive it in NV.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Isn't that illegal in Kalifornia? Like just about everything else?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Just bought some spray cans of Early WWII Lusterless Olive Drab from Rapcoparts.com and was very happy with it. They sell it in gallons also. Nice color, applied beautifully and nice coverage. I live in CA.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The guys over on steel soldiers have been using behr exterior latex paint for their vehicles. They say it is as tough as carc paint. Home depot has access to the federal standard codes its under "competitor color lookup" in their computer. Olive drab is 383

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Just bought some spray cans of Early WWII Lusterless Olive Drab from Rapcoparts.com and was very happy with it. They sell it in gallons also. Nice color, applied beautifully and nice coverage. I live in CA.
Rapcoparts.com is a new one to me. Looks like they have both gallons and spray cans (wish they had quarts). Thanks for the post!

EDIT: Well, their shipping rates suck. $12.95 shipping for a $6.95 can of spray paint. I guess it's off to H-D to see if they can mix up some alkyd enamel.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Behr is house paint! Only use it if you don't ever intend to sand it off or refinish the piece again. Carc is non civilian paint. You can get rustoleum paint in od, not the same shade though.

Steve

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Rapcoparts.com is a new one to me. Looks like they have both gallons and spray cans (wish they had quarts). Thanks for the post!

EDIT: Well, their shipping rates suck. $12.95 shipping for a $6.95 can of spray paint. I guess it's off to H-D to see if they can mix up some alkyd enamel.
Rapcoparts.com has a variety of O.D. colors in both semi gloss (think ammo cans) and lusterless for vehicles and other gear. Yes, shipping of OMD (spray paint) cans suck, best to buy multiple cans. You can also find camo paint on eBay, still shipping is expensive. In fact shipping on anything these days has gotten darn expensive. Having said that, the paint covered beautifully, did not run, beautiful match, and sprayed very well. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Can I suggest you make friends real quick with a local MV guy. I bet he has a case in his shed and would sell you a can without breaking the bank!

If you were close to me I'd sell you a can as I have a couple of cases here. BTW In my opinion best color match on rapco is ww2 semi gloss for ammo cans.

Steve

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I'm ordering 4 gals and 12 spray cans from Rapco.
Less that $300 total and it thins with Xylene.
Can't beat that price unless your in Texas and can pick it up. :thumbup:
The guy there is also a military buff and is a pleasure to speak with.
They get my business.:thumbup:
CaptMax

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Can I suggest you make friends real quick with a local MV guy. I bet he has a case in his shed and would sell you a can without breaking the bank!

If you were close to me I'd sell you a can as I have a couple of cases here. BTW In my opinion best color match on rapco is ww2 semi gloss for ammo cans.

Steve
I know this isn't my thread but I'm looking for paint too.

That is actually a really good suggestion. There is a guy a few blocks from me that is restoring a G503 (or some model of Army Jeep) that I've been meaning to introduce myself to. Perhaps I'll walk over there with a leg from my 1917a1 tripod in hand and ask for his suggestion on paint. :D

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Over the years I have bought paint from Rapco and have the following shades to be the most useful:

OD shade 24087, a dark brownish semi-gloss OD common on vehicles (and ammo boxes) from 1950-70s

OD shade 23070 a lighter semi-gloss OD with a greenish tint.

OD shade 33070 a light OD flat shade like early WWII stuff.

Another Company ( Aerove) sold shade 34087and they called it shade 987A. I think Rapco sells shade 34070 Flat OD with khaki tint similar to late WWII.

Another company use to sell OD paint in virious shades (TM9 Ordnance Products). But I believe someone said they are no longer in business.
They use to sell a color that was a perfect match for the M1 ammo box color.

The "Technical Data Package List" for the M2A1 ammunition box refers to the paint as" Paint enamel LOW VOC, Alkyd Type (Ammo). I was hoping they had more information as to the color but they don't.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Over the years I have bought paint from Rapco and have the following shades to be the most useful:

OD shade 24087, a dark brownish semi-gloss OD common on vehicles (and ammo boxes) from 1950-70s

OD shade 23070 a lighter semi-gloss OD with a greenish tint.

OD shade 33070 a light OD flat shade like early WWII stuff.

Another Company (Aerove) sold shade 34087and they called it shade 987A. I think Rapco sells shade 34070 Flat OD with khaki tint similar to late WWII.

Another company use to sell OD paint in various shades (TM9 Ordnance Products). But I believe someone said they are no longer in business.
They use to sell a color that was a perfect match for the M1 ammo box color.

The "Technical Data Package List" for the M2A1 ammunition box refers to the paint as" Paint enamel LOW VOC, Alkyd Type (Ammo). I was hoping they had more information as to the color but they don't.

PS I have no idea how this double post happened.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info fellers.

So what I'm doing is painting a VW Caddy pickup. I'm planning to paint it OD green with a white star on the door. I even plan on making a canvas cover for the bed. So it's basically going to be a scaled down deuce and a half sort of.....

It's going to be a daily commuter vehicle and the paint job on it now is cop bait.

Other things I'm adding is a high capacity inverter for 110 power, air compressor, large air tank, and a Hancock 4710 locomotive air whistle (look that one up on YouTube).

It's a long term project and I'll post pics when I'm done.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
You cannot intro a project like that and no before pics.....you also didnt mention a ring mount lol.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Isn't that illegal in Kalifornia? Like just about everything else?
Um...no. Silly. Look at different military vehicle parts pages, also a lot of the same vendors sell on fleabay too...they have many shades from pre WW2 to current. Spray cans or gallons, post pictures when it's done.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You cannot intro a project like that and no before pics.....you also didnt mention a ring mount lol.
Haha, I'll get some pics of the hell wagon when I get a chance.

I need something that gets better gas mileage than what I get now. I do plan on dropping a modern TDI engine into this thing that gets 45-50mpg. Another nice thing is anything older than 1989 has no smog requirement for diesels in this state.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts