1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK guys everyone that knows me knows I am not techno boy lol I am doing 4 parades Memorial day weekend and my buddy Ralph whom I drive is a Korean war vet and was a 30 gunner in the war. He is not doing well so I really want to make this weekend special for him because it could be his last parades and it is the 150th anniversary of Memorial day which was founded here for those who don't know. Anyways I have the gas gun running great and ready to go but I would like to add music to the jeep this year and would like it loud but not so much that it drowns out the gun and could use some help trying to figure out a simple user friendly way to do this. Any suggestions would be great but keep in mind I don't have a ton of room as we will have 4 of us in the jeep so I am looking for the simplest solution to give a great end result. Any sound guys out here because now is the time to chime in.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Get a ghetto blaster with a cd player, download your music and burn your own cd. Most will be plenty loud for anyone within 50ft.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'd be sure at least two of your passengers are Opera singers. Problem solved! Extra points for organic/green music source too!!

Is the parade in/near Rochester? If so, I'll ask my relatives to heckle you.

Otherwise the boom box is a good suggestion. If you have 12 volts, it isn't hard to hack a power feed to it. The D batteries won't last. iPhones/iTunes players are easy to make music loops on which can be set & forget once you get going. Find a young person, and they can set you up. You can pull a lot of tunes off the 'net also that way, if you are trying for a particular theme. Aside from that, you'd be surprised what a compact music source can do when you butt it up against a traffic cone. A perfect focused megaphone that is easy to set up. The key for the larger music players will be to get a reliable power source that will last the duration of the parade. A car battery, loose but dedicated will do if you have room. A trip to Radio Shack will get you the parts to wire it up if time and money can accommodate. Hook it up and play it for the time you think you'll need it to be sure. Again, if you 12 volts on board, you can get a cheapie inverter that'll run 120v and you can just plug in a stereo and go. Look at the wattage of the inverter and compare it to the wattage of the stereo to be sure it'll work before you spend your money. Harbor freight may have what you need. More money = more watts of power to run your electrics.

Otherwise just stage right next to the marching band and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be sure at least two of your passengers are Opera singers. Problem solved! Extra points for organic/green music source too!!

Is the parade in/near Rochester? If so, I'll ask my relatives to heckle you.

Otherwise the boom box is a good suggestion. If you have 12 volts, it isn't hard to hack a power feed to it. The D batteries won't last. iPhones/iTunes players are easy to make music loops on which can be set & forget once you get going. Find a young person, and they can set you up. You can pull a lot of tunes off the 'net also that way, if you are trying for a particular theme. Aside from that, you'd be surprised what a compact music source can do when you butt it up against a traffic cone. A perfect focused megaphone that is easy to set up. The key for the larger music players will be to get a reliable power source that will last the duration of the parade. A car battery, loose but dedicated will do if you have room. A trip to Radio Shack will get you the parts to wire it up if time and money can accommodate. Hook it up and play it for the time you think you'll need it to be sure. Again, if you 12 volts on board, you can get a cheapie inverter that'll run 120v and you can just plug in a stereo and go. Look at the wattage of the inverter and compare it to the wattage of the stereo to be sure it'll work before you spend your money. Harbor freight may have what you need. More money = more watts of power to run your electrics.

Otherwise just stage right next to the marching band and be done with it.
The main parade is in Waterloo, NY where Memorial day was founded but we have 4 total we are doing and I am not sure where they all are lol I just follow. Good call on the band as we are usually right in front with one either in front or behind us so I will check on that to be sure we don't distract from them. We do have a bunch of politicians in front of us so shooting the gas 1919 should be both interesting and satisfying this year :rofl: I just hope it does not create issues but he organizers are well aware of it and are on board 100%

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,240 Posts
I think if you get a system with speakers mounted and facing opposite to the band, you might not interfere with their sound that much, but the crowd will hear your music either as you approach or pass by, depending. I vote for some Andrews Sisters pieces, myself. Or, there is a great piece from Gracie Fields, from The Stage Door Canteen film, that is about the rat a tat tat of the machine gun shooting down German aircraft!

·
BeltFed GURU
4,440 Posts
I would go with this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpYVfHTajOg Angel Flight in memory of every generation who served and paid the highest price .

It is sad this version is not available here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kMxb1LvOLc in the US any more with the plane/ tower calls in the background ,a disgrace it is stunningly beautiful when the C-130 fires off it`s IR flares and they form Angel wings . I used to post it up ever Memorial day here and a few other places to remind people it is a somber "Holiday" of Remembrance for those of us who have served .

It always brings tears to my eyes since i have sent friends/Brothers home on one in 83 twice and 89 ....

Any way you can set the burst limit to 21 shots ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts