1919 A4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Lets see... a BF firing out of battery with shot.. What could go wrong...Not that Ive ever F the hell up... up LOL!
PTRS
You mean like a cook off or melting plastic in the barrel?
A Vickers is pretty tough to have fire out of battery, safety sear and all. I suppose it’s possible, pellets everywhere.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
OK... I'd say twist up another one, have a dram of KC and think it over....For a long time.. I don't mean to cast depression here...
PTRS

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I think with the brass shotshells this could really happen....And even if he only gets 30rd off between cleanings , it would be a win......It is far more then I can say about my Belt Fed Bolt Action .50 Upper for the AR platform....Or as I like to call it ( BFBA.50UAR )..........The name is still in R&D,,,,& D 🤣

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
OK Mm crushed now I need to go for a dram of KC a Stout and a cigar... It would be cool with a Subsonic 44 Mag set up per a S&H Arms can...
PTRS

·
11,673 Posts
I don’t think @Mike Duke had the ability to pull this off. He’ll get distracted by reading an old thread where lakeside was talking about how he figured out how to convert a 10/22 to Beltfed or some other trinket

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Is 212 degrees hot enough to melt the plastic? Not sure it is. As for it not cycling I think it could be fine tuned with the fussee spring - YOU GO MIKE!!!!!!

·
11,673 Posts
Just read that it’s PE so around 230F give or take a few degrees. That would be a super hot barrel. Water boils at 212.

with a decently thick barrel, and even more so because the barrel is water cooled, I’m betting smaller burst cycles are totally safe.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Also it will be a lot less friction on the bore because of the shot.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,235 Posts

Just sayin'...

Reactions: Mike Duke

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Does the AA12 have problems melting plastic? I dunno, no experience with that one. Anybody know. I’m sure this is over complicating it. It’s not like I’m going to do belt dumps or anything. As long as it goes pop pop pop a few times I’ll be happy.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I took my Saga 12 to a shoot last year...I had it mounted on an MG 42 AA tripod and was dumping 20rd drums from it with no issues...It takes a wile for shotguns to heat up.

Reactions: Rory

·
Registered
149 Posts
I took my Saga 12 to a shoot last year...I had it mounted on an MG 42 AA tripod and was dumping 20rd drums from it with no issues...It takes a wile for shotguns to heat up.
Mike Duke, thanks for posting this unusual and very interesting build, standard load 410 shells are not all that hot of a cartridge, and unless you really get on that trigger, there is very little danger of melting shell hulls in that barrel, and with water cooling it would be steaming out, and having all sorts of other issues, way before it will jam the empty in that chamber. If you home load those very hot, and way more shot then wad type of a set up, then they will run a little hotter...

As for AA12, I have seen it go through 3 drums one after another in rapid succession, and nothing had melted or stuck to the barrel or to the chamber, the barrel was noticeably hot at the end of this process, but that was expected, and nothing too drastic.

So in 410, go for it, it will work ! Good luck. Jim.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts