1919 A4 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I no nothing about how a Vickers works , but my one concern would be the flash hider / booster / can thingy on the front...Once the hull leaves the barrel it's gonna start spreading ....Can the gun be fired without that part ?

Reactions: Rory

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Yes, they even have a brass slow fire adapter that replaces the muzzle gland when you don’t use the muzzle cage assembly. Works and looks like a M1917 Water cooled muzzle gland. Used often when firing 7.62x54r where the booster is not required.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Used to fire mine without it all the time.
The only time I ever shot a Vickers was yours Rory....I was too freaked out about the expanding case mouths on the ammo to pay attention to the rest of the gun....I was waiting for the BOOM...😎... ☹

Reactions: Rory

·
11,668 Posts
That’s normal for that cal conversion.
probably went through 30-40,000 rounds of 54r with no issue. Man I miss cheap ammo

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Thanks Jim. I’m enjoying all the encouragement. I’m going to finish it. I’ll post pics and vids when I’m done. I have a lot of projects to do first so it’s a back burner for sure. I will post updates as I go along.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Awesome! The only think that sticks out to me right away as possible an issue in the booster. I can see bird shot bouncing out of that booster everywhere!

Hmm... I wonder if I could do this with the 7.62 conversion bolt for the MG08.

It sure is a cool idea. I wonder how you could trap shooting with it?

I have a 410 upper for my M16... I want to do a trap shoot with it.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
It was addressed at the top of this page....I guess you can shoot it without the booster/ can.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Plus one for me! I tried to use a 1917 gland as some guys said they would fit but the thread are different

One of those is on my to make list!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Used to be easy to find these, not any more. I think Greaser should make them, just my humble opinion.

Frankie will not find any spare ones and the last vendor who had them is out.

·
Watercooled Addict
2,108 Posts
If Frankie finds one of those in the salt mine keep me in mind.
brian at brp had a mess of these several years ago. I bought half a dozen and they are all I run. Never clean a damn pesky booster again. Works great in a vickers in 54r even lifting the belt out of a box on the ground when mounted on a vickers tripod.
Just a shame I cant get my 08 to run 54r unboosted. I guess if I wasnt asking it to lift the belt 3 feet off the ground I could get away with it, but I so like sitting in a chair to shoot.
Remember belt lift distance has more to do with required boost than anything else.
that is a lot of lift considering its pulling out of a pkm can thats been cut out of the pic!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I spoke again to Frankie he says we only have one in the collection, he said jmann bought the last six.

·
Watercooled Addict
2,108 Posts
Haha, buy em cheap and stack em deep!

61 - 80 of 85 Posts