1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

Many years ago I was at the local gun club shooting with my dad (I was probably ~13 at the time) and a fella there had a 1919A6 and he let me try it out. The idea of owning a belt-fed gun must have left a huge impression on me, because fast forward 25 years, a tour in the Navy, a C&R license, and a lot of buying/selling/trading of firearms and here I am. I recently stumbled across an Izzy 308 parts kit and the memory of shooting that guy's A6 at the range came flooding back. The machine work is already done and it came with the semi-auto trigger so I jumped on it. I picked up a KMP right side plate and am pulling the last bits together to do my build. I'm planning to also do an A6 conversion to it. So I'm here to read, research, learn, ask questions, and (hopefully) get answers.

I was an electrician's mate in the Navy, have a degree in mechanical engineering (currently working on a masters). I love anything with lots of moving parts, so in addition to firearms I like to play with cars & motorcycles.

I look forward to meeting you all!

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Take comfort in the fact that you own the last of a dying breed. Parts kits are reaching north of 2500, partial side plates have become legally questionable and accessories are selling at a premium. My advice is to build it yourself (seriously, all you have to do is rivet) and learn how to headspace.

I know they dont trust you with live ammo in the Navy without adult supervision, but we can walk you through it. (obligatory inter-service rivalry joke)

Theres a ton of knowledge here. Many guys have forgotten more than Ill ever know. Let us know how the build progresses. Welcome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I have some experience with metal working, so I'm not too scared of the riveting. I also think I can figure the head spacing out with a little guidance from you all. Really my biggest worry is the parkerizing. My RHSP is still in the white. Should I park it before I assemble, or park the whole thing after? (I guess this is my first question)

·
Premium Member
8,672 Posts
Parking is not hard and if you ask 10 members here how they do it you will probably get ten different answers. Where are you located because we have members all over and one may be close to you that can help with the parkerizing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Parking is not hard and if you ask 10 members here how they do it you will probably get ten different answers. Where are you located because we have members all over and one may be close to you that can help with the parkerizing.
I'm in northern VA. I think what I'll do is go through everything I have and then start a thread with all my questions that I can't answer by searching.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Welcome to the best online gun forum around. The brain trust here is unrivaled, not a gun single related question ever goes unanswered. Any questions don’t hesitate to ask as someone will have and be happy to answer. Again, welcome!

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Thanks! I have some experience with metal working, so I'm not too scared of the riveting. I also think I can figure the head spacing out with a little guidance from you all. Really my biggest worry is the parkerizing. My RHSP is still in the white. Should I park it before I assemble, or park the whole thing after? (I guess this is my first question)
Parkerize AFTER the gun is built. Not only is your RSP in the white, but so are your rivets. Parkerizing isnt tough, but it does require some dedicated equipment ($$ investment). There are plenty of guys here to do it for cheaper than it costs you to get set up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts