1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to share a new book that has just been published -
It's a stunning record of machine gun accessories. It's a gorgeous book - the photos are excellent and being a private printing will likely be difficult to come by in the future. I had the chance to view a copy today at the Knob Creek Machine Gun Show and have ordered one plus a spare. Highly recommend.

"Handbook of Machine Gun Support Equipment and Accessories 1895-1945" By Robert G. Segel

$125 online at:

https://emmageeman.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Beautiful looking book.
In color, photography on more recent books compared to older reference books send to be being emphasized a lot more makes it nice.
Thanks for posting

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
...does it have...?

Wondering,since Segal is focused on WW1,does he show and describe the US Army 1917 Machine Gun Cart series...? If so,it's the next book I'm getting. And...is the author at KC this weekend...?

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Robert is here at the creek Len as always but he does not have the books for sale here. There are a few copies floating around and I keep trying to get 5 minutes to go check it out but have been glued to the tables other than helping Dolf.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Had a chance to talk with Mr. Segel yesterday and look at his book. Pictures were plentiful and of great quality. Incredible attention to detail. Was sorry I couldn’t take one with me from the Creek but will certainly be ordering one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Had a chance to talk with Mr. Segel yesterday and look at his book. Pictures were plentiful and of great quality. Incredible attention to detail. Was sorry I couldn’t take one with me from the Creek but will certainly be ordering one.
Just ordered my copy.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wondering,since Segal is focused on WW1,does he show and describe the US Army 1917 Machine Gun Cart series...? If so,it's the next book I'm getting. And...is the author at KC this weekend...?
I did leaf through the book and handcarts are included. Its not an exhaustive study on handcarts of course but they’re in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
640 Posts
I ordered one too thanks for the heads up. Cant wait to see what else I was happily ignorant of not knowing I needed until I saw a picture of it! Sounds like a great addition to the book shelf. Dan

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I got my copy in the mail yesterday and have not fully gone through it yet but this book is amazing and Robert really did a great job with it. Quite a few board members here contributed to this and it is a great reference book for anyone seriously into the hobby. I love the section on the Revelli and learned about a few things that I will now be hunting for. Very well written and the pictures are wonderful so I highly recommend this book for anyone that enjoys all the tools and accessories that go with the MG's of if you just want a good read on the early MG's. Very well done Robert and thank you for doing this book.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Handbook of MG Support Equipment and Accesories 1895-1945

I also got my copy yesterday and spent the evening going through it. As previously noted, it is a very high quality printing, with excellent quality pics and great coverage of MG accessories, including some very obscure parts. Really a tremendous effort on the part of the author, Mr Segel.
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Book is incredible - but for Len, I don't think the level of detail is there on MG carts - there are a few pics of the hand drawn ones but I did not see anything on the horse / mule drawn carts. QUICK EDIT I found a section on the carts at the end of the book - there is a separate section for the MG carts - several pages, good photos. But Len still needs to write a book -
Guess you need to write a book on the carts Len.
DSC01263.JPG

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Someone told me knowledge is power but I think in our hobby knowledge is EXPENSIVE!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Someone told me knowledge is power but I think in our hobby knowledge is EXPENSIVE!
And it will be more expensive five years from now, when the book is out of print and $1000 on Amazon. I have most of the collector grade books, and lot of other reference material. Besides being incredible reading, ( and pictures !!) they are invaluable to try to keep me from typing stupid stuff on the interweb.... But I still manage it. :eek:

I don' think I ever regretted buying a book. Well, yes I do - I have college text books that I kept, and some were VERY expensive. NEVER used most again . Except as paper weights. I photo copied sections of Dolf's book to make shop manuals for myself and reduce wear and tear on the book.

·
Registered
659 Posts
And it will be more expensive five years from now, when the book is out of print and $1000 on Amazon. I have most of the collector grade books, and lot of other reference material. Besides being incredible reading, ( and pictures !!) they are invaluable to try to keep me from typing stupid stuff on the interweb.... But I still manage it. :eek:

You said it
And thank you Hershmeister for the heads up.
Ordered mine today

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
...#1040...

Got home Sat and ordered mine,order #1040. I also wrote an email and asked for a signed copy. I stopped and spoke with Robert at his table and did find the photo's of the 1917 carts with his help. Believe he has both a gun and ammo cart and was eager to talk about the spare gun carts I have....the only 3-known...as they were obsolete by 1920. Just got the shipping notice it was getting delivered...today...and I'm in Indy at the NRA convention...!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Also received my copy today. Book is amazing! Certainly will provide me with hours of reading and help me find new ways to spend more $$. Thank you Mr. Segel

·
Registered
103 Posts
For all the folks that haven’t snagged a copy of the book yet, Robert has just put them “on sale” on the website. So if you need something to do with all the time on your hands, here you go....

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Ha you beat me to it Gorgon lol Robert just emailed me yesterday and told me he was having a Covid sale on them and I am half tempted to get another copy I can keep at the shop and use so I can keep my signed copy nice and clean.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Russ:
Yep, might be a good idea. I know he sold a lot in the past year, the stock looked really low! Here’s a link to the review Ian did if anyone cares to check it out...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts