1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new camera and started documenting my collection.

Stoner 63a Commando configuration

Stoner 63a in LMG configuration

Stoner 63A in automatic rifle configuration

Open bolt M16 LMG

·
Registered
190 Posts
Please post details of lighting and background

Mongo,
Can you please post details of your photo setup? I need to document my collection and would really like to capture images in a smilar manner to what you have here.
Thanks,
Joe

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Very nice pictures. I would also like to take pictures like that.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First, I about as far from a photographer as you can get. Every thing I learned was reading gun photography threads.

Some of the things I learned from them were
  • you need a decent camera
  • tripod
  • remote trigger
  • you shoot in manual mode
  • background material is important
  • lighting
I bought a Nikon D3300 for my own Christmas present. It replaced my old point and shoot camera that did alright but was not up to the task. I already had a tripod for the camera. I also got a remote trigger since I am using long exposure times to wash out the shadows and any bump will blur the image.

The background I used is from B&H and worth every penny. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/747513-REG/Foba_F6001_TT_Plast_Plastic_Background.html

Camera settings are going to depend on your lighting in the area. Using the stock lens for the camera

Camera settings
f/11
ISO-100
exposure 0.77 sec. - this varies and I actually take about 20 pictures at different exposure lengths and when I get to the computer I decide which one looks the best and then crop it. None of the pictures have been retouched other than cropping and water marking.

For lights I bought these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FHZ2SI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

·
BeltFed GURU
4,332 Posts
Mongo,
I am worse than :jedicrying: Green with envy of your Stoners !! Great pictures i figured you used MS paint /Photoshop to "cut" them out so they pop out clean against the background ! But you used true old school photographic method and it is Spectacular !!!:cool: I am truly impressed :wow::wow: .

·
Registered
187 Posts
Last guy I met who had so many Stoners lived in Port Canaveral. It was damn cool seeing his upstairs collection...wish I'd had a camera with me that day, and the bottle of rum I passed over was worth the visit!

NS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts