1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this old scrounger here in town,he's a little strange which is why we get along so well,he has a 20 foot container full of ammo,powder and other interesting things,when ever I have some extra money I'll go over and try to talk him out of stuff that I need, so far I bought 600 rounds of 30-06 brass,600 rounds of primed .30 carbine brass, a gallon bucket of .357 mag brass for a friend of mine,last time I was buying stuff we came across a bunch of 7.62X39 new boxer primed brass, so I dropped in yesterday to see what it would take to talk him out of some of it,well we got digging around in his "oddball cartridge box" and I started to set aside rounds that I wanted, came up with 41 rounds that I found interesting, some are old black powder rounds and there are a couple big rim fire rounds, I gave him a $100 bill for the oddball collection and $80 for 375 rounds new primed russian plus as much fired,I'm not sure they are all boxer,but I wasn't going to quibble!
I've never dealt with rounds this old so I have few questions. Will it hurt the value if I clean them? Are they likely to blow up if I hit them on a polishing wheel? And what is the best way to mount them on a board to display?
Most of them are in pretty good shape but a few are quite crusty.

·
Registered
174 Posts
First row, 9th from right looks like a Spencer 56-56. Photo of the headstamp?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I'd leave them as they are, the patina on the lead and brass is protecting them and they'll just get that way again.

They're old, leave'em looking old.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
headstamp

Jim, that round is one of the BIG rim fires and there are no markings on it at all! The lead projectile measures .535 at the top land and the case is .875 tall,over all the bullet is 1.668.Thats another reason I posted them here so you guys could help identify some of the unmarked cases.
I have access to some really nice barn wood,I'll probably end up mounting them on some of that.

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
...better option...?

Never really 'collected' ammo...but after over 40 yrs of buying entire boxes of stuff,found that I had amassed quite a bunch of ammo. Took about 2-weeks to sort,identify and mount the results. Found that attaching the rounds to a hard surface was difficult and could lead to some damage. Took some corrugated cardboard and placed the rounds on it. Then put it all into a shadow-box type of display with a cotton base and began to label each round with the description put on tape on the glass cover. This way it can be viewed easily. Pic's to follow,as I keep the display in my shop for show-and-tell about the differences in some ammo types.
Only problem is that they will move around if not taped or glued down to the cardboard.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Please do not attempt to clean up those rounds. If you use any kind of chemical, (brasso, etc) You will find that its impossible to get all the residue off in the smallest of spots (case rims) and you will start to get white spots. Also, once you shine them, chemically or mechanically, ANY finger oils you get on them will leave fingerprints and blemish marks. Whats even worse is that after all your hard work, the brass will 'patina' back to brown after just a few weeks. Leave them alone. They look better in their 'as found' state.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
collecting

I didn't expect to come away from this guys place with a good start to a collection but when I started seeing those big ones and all the strange ones I couldn't stop! I have a pretty good collection of military rounds already, like L99 I've been buying boxes of ammo at yard sales for years and it seems there is always an oddball in there, but very rarely do you find these kinds of rounds,plus I had a few extra bucks!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
The balloon head rimfire cartridges in copper/copper wash are mostly immediate post CW up to late Indian Campaign stuff. Good start to a nice collection. I see a .45autorim (for the 1917 revolvers) right next to the steel case .45 auto. Probably Remington/Peters.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Had to look:lol: 47lincsled, I've got an old wood cigar box full of most of the rds you have. Plus different rds scattered around..Someday I'll have to gather them into one spot and set them up like L999..Also like L999, with a bit over 50yrs of reloading and shooting most all of it came with other stuff, or just showed up at my door to get rid of..
One of the rds that stands out to me right now in a "get rid of box" is an unfired 8mm German anti tank rd. It looks like a 50cal necked down to 8mm....Lou

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
....maybe...?

Hey...Lou..that round you mentioned may be one of the original 'anti-tank' German rds used in a built-up Mauser-type bolt action gun during WW1. They are rare...and so is the ammo. Might want to check it out...

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
L999,

Been there, done that, Yep it is!!!! I get a laugh everytime I look at it.. If the ones who showed up with the " Get Rid of" box it was in knew what it was worth, they would be Crapping themselves. :lol::lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts