1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought any of those clips being sold on GB or ebay? I bought a batch and when they arrived I picked out 3 randomly loaded them up and took them to the range,when I got them I thought the finish was too rough but I figured I was just used to old worn clips, but when I got out there they immediately started giving me problems, first they wouldn't feed rounds,then they wouldn't eject when they were empty, I took two different guns,neither of which has ever given me any feeding problem,unless I tried to use those cheap twisted clips, so I came home and pulled a couple clips from my old stock and ran them through,both guns fed and ejected, I even tried to hand cycle some of the new clips, they still would feed and eject,of course when I emailed him he blamed the guns, but he sent me a return postage label and had me send them back so he could look at them,he offered to refund my money but I really need some clips,so he's going to see what he can figure out and hopefully send me some that work.
Has anyone else had this problem? The finish felt like 1200 grit sandpaper, which I wouldn't care if they worked, my guns are shooter not museum pieces,so I'm not too concerned what the clips look like,but they have to be reliable.
The clips are sold as AEC,if that means anything,they are supposed to be new production,made in the US.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
AEC=Aggressive Engineering Corp A one time maker of mil-spec clips Maybe seconds?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Probably ones that were stepped on on a range somewhere.

I've seen people trampling good loadable brass without a care in the world.....thing is it wasn't their brass, it was mine or someone else's as they walk to their firing point to see what they're shooting.

Now I usually put a canvas tarp down if I'm saving the brass

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
The same problems were reported on the CMP forum and they solved it by tumbling the clips for a few hours to "sand" them smooth. Give that a try.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
clips

I had suggested that to the seller but he wanted me to return them,I also though about hitting them briefly with a polishing wheel,although getting inside could be a problem. We'll see what he has to say,he should get the clips tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Could be tolerance stacking . You see , these clips were made by different people at different places at different times for different 30-06 s.
The original 1930s 30-06 had a certain head / extractor groove shape and size . They changed it in the 50s on the 7.62 / .308 to a better / stronger / more reliable design . Lots of people adopted the 7.62 and made ammo to NATO specs . When 30-06 surplus / aid stopped from the US , they made their own 30-06 using the 7.62 head specs . They also made their own clips to fit the 7.62 head of their new '06 ammo .
So , you have 06head 06 in 06 clips , no problems.
7.62head '06 in 7.62clips , no problems.
7.62head in '06 clips , usually OK as the 7.62 head clears the 06 internal ribs.
06head in 7.62 clips , sometimes problems as the rib in the 7.62head binds in the '06 head extractor groove affecting feed by friction or loading / ejecting by expanding the clip body so it rubs . It can also affect the relationship between the notch that is nabed by the clip latch hook , either jamming it in or not allowing a good bite .
Excessive parking can fill the clip notch , not allowing a good bite , causing the clip to eject before all has been fired .
A week clip latch spring can also do this or make it easier to have happen .
Chris

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clips

Obviously this guy has had other problems, because as soon as he got them from me he just refunded my money,which is fine but now I have to find some clips that do work, I'm almost done with reloading 800 rounds of 30-06 and don't have anything to put them in!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts