1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for a decade I鈥檝e put off buying a 1919 kit, and of course I decide to finally jump in when everything is prohibitively expensive. 馃檮

So I work part time as a shade tree gunsmith/Refinisher at a local gun shop, and we thought this would be a fun project. So far I have my parts kit, a side plate from Wells, trigger set from Karma who also sent me the drawings to mill the internals.

Trying to figure out the most effective way to do the riveting now. Talking with Russ currently about his jig to set them, but open to whatever options there are. I love that jig, but also hate to invest that much in something we most likely only use once.

Anyways, I鈥檓 sure these build threads are old news to a lot of you, but perhaps I can document it in a way that helps the next newbie.

Premium Member
I'm curious about the providence of some of your parts. The rear site base and Bottom plate appear to be milled, not cast. IIRC, the long thread Trunnions are an early drawing number, where the Back plates with short grips came late to the game. Then again, the varied finish of the various parts shows they most likely came from different weapons. Interesting.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm curious about the providence of some of your parts. The rear site base and Bottom plate appear to be milled, not cast. IIRC, the long thread Trunnions are an early drawing number, where the Back plates with short grips came late to the game. Then again, the varied finish of the various parts shows they most likely came from different weapons. Interesting.
they appear to be a hodge podge of parts thrown together to make 鈥渁 kit鈥. I honestly don鈥檛 know enough about any of the 1919 parts to know the differences.

I got them from Sarco. As far as the rear sight base goes, it鈥檚 beat up pretty good, and Sarco is sending me a replacement. I can provide better pics of whatever parts you want to see. I鈥檓 assuming they鈥檒l all still work together?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buy the jig, use it, and sell on GB for a profit. He goes months with no time to sell jigs, and few if any make it to GB they get gobbled up here.
He doesn鈥檛 have any available currently, but that鈥檚 not out of the question. I have time.

Premium Member
I have my own 30 jig I would consider renting out when the time comes but as I mentioned years ago when I started making them I tried a rental program to help both the board and the board members but the first three jigs that went out never came back. I was charging almost nothing to rent them and all the money was going to the board so I was disappointed it never worked out. Abominog is right I rarely promote them and list them for sale but when they do hit gunbroker they go nuts for some reason? I am here to help you when you are ready and can help you ID all the parts in a few minutes over the phone if you would like to learn about them. Russ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have my own 30 jig I would consider renting out when the time comes but as I mentioned years ago when I started making them I tried a rental program to help both the board and the board members but the first three jigs that went out never came back. I was charging almost nothing to rent them and all the money was going to the board so I was disappointed it never worked out. Abominog is right I rarely promote them and list them for sale but when they do hit gunbroker they go nuts for some reason? I am here to help you when you are ready and can help you ID all the parts in a few minutes over the phone if you would like to learn about them. Russ
Man, you have been too nice. Thank you.

Premium Member
they appear to be a hodge podge of parts thrown together to make 鈥渁 kit鈥.
That was my guess too. Every so often someone will post pictures of a parts kit with something really interesting, like a WWI era Side plate with 1917 Stirrup rivet holes. If that rear site base is Buffalo Arms, BCI, etc, someone here will want it.

Registered
I see a good and bad thing that you should look at on your left plate. The good / nice thing is that it doesnt have the extra hole however it does have the izzy stamp. The bad look at your top large rivet hole. It looks like it is oblong, I'm not sure if a rivet will fill that

Please post a better pic of it as well as the holes on your bottom plate

Premium Member
Well I will be talking to him tomorrow night and guiding him on what the parts are and how to proceed so I am sure he will post here after we are done.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is that a crack in the left hand side plate from the second rivet from the rear going up?
You know, I just can鈥檛 tell. I鈥檝e been working metal for a long time, and it kinda stumped me. It almost looks like a crack that鈥檚 been welded, but 1) it doesn鈥檛 have the typical appearance of a grinded smooth weld, and 2) if it is a welded patch job, they would鈥檝e had to remove that rear sight base.

I tried to blast it to get a better look, and it almost looks like it鈥檚 a weird casting mark. I鈥檒l take some better pics of it and the rivet hole tomorrow when I get to work.

Jason

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So this is a closer look at my LHSP. I haven鈥檛 really throughly inspected all these things like I should, but this evening when I speak to Russ I want to.

Upon further inspection of the plate, there鈥檚 a crack in the feed bracket (I know that鈥檚 not correct nom), as well as the beat up sight base. The rivet holes seem to not be to bad, but I鈥檓 no expert. Also a closer pic of the crack/cast mark?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts