1919 A4 Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I would have to say that I would try....That plate / gun has seen better days...Look's like a box of rejected parts was thrown togather to make a kit...It's got way too much going on to pay top dollar for.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
yeah, it wouldn’t be hard to hit with the tig and clean up, but I paid a premium for this kit. Might just see if they’ll swap it.
I would say it is a grade "B" kit that can certainly be built but will take an extra amount of work and effort. Personally like Gunner 50 said, looks like they took every damaged or worn part and made it into a kit.

Send it back....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I would say it is a grade "B" kit that can certainly be built but will take an extra amount of work and effort. Personally like Gunner 50 said, looks like they took every damaged or worn part and made it into a kit.

Send it back....
I really don’t mind doing the repair work. Luckily all the other parts seem to be in good shape, but yeah... I ain’t hot on putting in that kinda work when I didn’t pay a Grade B price.

I will say that Dave at Sarco has been pretty great thus far. I sent an email about the side plate, we’ll see what he says.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I really don’t mind doing the repair work. Luckily all the other parts seem to be in good shape, but yeah... I ain’t hot on putting in that kinda work when I didn’t pay a Grade B price.

I will say that Dave at Sarco has been pretty great thus far. I sent an email about the side plate, we’ll see what he says.
There at the the bottom of pile of kits. I would just send it out to have pro build it an call it a day. Look at it as investment there only going up in price.

·
12,611 Posts
see if they will swap it. john mcguire was making replacement cams years ago but doubt he still is.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
see if they will swap it. john mcguire was making replacement cams years ago but doubt he still is.
They sent an RA for it yesterday. I expect to have the replacement shortly.

I’m about half way done with cleaning up the rest of the parts.

do most people replace that sleeve in the trunnion mount hole? Mine looks OK, but the side plates will take some finessing to fit on it.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
They sent an RA for it yesterday. I expect to have the replacement shortly.

I’m about half way done with cleaning up the rest of the parts.

do most people replace that sleeve in the trunnion mount hole? Mine looks OK, but the side plates will take some finessing to fit on it.
There is a couple different way's you can do that. Replace with new sleeve, use old sleeve. Or it looks like your pintle pad is not drilled for the sleeve?? Your new semi-auto side plate will not be drilled for sleeve, if that's the case you can trim sleeve flush on right side and leave plate and pad as they are. That sleeve can be a bear to remove and install without messing it up. I made up a jig to do the job out of a drill bit it supports the sleeve so that it presses in or out without damaging the sleeve. Using this tool I normally press out the old one and then reuse it.
Greg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
There is a couple different way's you can do that. Replace with new sleeve, use old sleeve. Or it looks like your pintle pad is not drilled for the sleeve?? Your new semi-auto side plate will not be drilled for sleeve, if that's the case you can trim sleeve flush on right side and leave plate and pad as they are. That sleeve can be a bear to remove and install without messing it up. I made up a jig to do the job out of a drill bit it supports the sleeve so that it presses in or out without damaging the sleeve. Using this tool I normally press out the old one and then reuse it.
Greg
Ah. That makes sense. It would appear the pad/side plates were not drilled for it. I don’t think it’s in horrible shape, but I’ll inspect it closer tomorrow. If not, I’ll most likely leave it in place.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Update! (I feel like these are kinda boring threads for the seasoned guys here, but humor me... I’ve been really enjoying dabbling into something new 😄)

Project got shelved for a bit, because I’ve just been so busy at the shop lately, but trying to dedicate some time to it...

Decided to clean up the bottom plate where they butchered the rivets out.

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
Nicely done you are going in the right direction to have a very nice build. Take your time and keep up the great work it will be worth it in the end.

Reactions: JRo670

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ok, so a little more.

I’m almost there! All that’s left is tying up a few loose ends I’m waiting on small parts for (thanks Toolman!), and a little mill time. Sarco replaced all the questionable pieces, and was super helpful.

Box is assembled. Had a little fitment issues with the RHSP from Wells. Called Dave @ Wells to get some advice on how to proceed, and if he had seen this issue before. He was unbelievably kind, and genuinely concerned that his plate might not be right, and asked if I would send all my parts, and his plate in so he could look at it.

While there, he graciously fit and riveted all my parts for me, and send back the complete unit!

Can’t say enough good things about customer service like that.

So assembled box in hand, time to Park!

Along the way, a local guy at a neighboring shop is a huge MG nut, who has an impressive collection. He hooked me up with a great deal on a FN tripod for the build.

We actually got some new park solution from Coral Chemicals in, so the 1919 was to be the experimental dip. This is stuff that a few friends in Missouri had used on a lot of military spec builds, and told me it gave that nice “usgi grey” look. So here we go! Took everything apart, sandblasted, and parked. Even the bipod is like new again.

So here’s where I’m at now. Just have to mill the guts and go broke trying to find M80 😄

Forgive all the A6 bastardity, but I found a stock/carry handle/ bipod for a good deal, and figured why not... 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
Great job it is looking good (y) now that you have doe one the fun begins lol so whats next a water cooled, 50?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Great job it is looking good (y) now that you have doe one the fun begins lol so whats next a water cooled, 50?
The guy I got the parts kit from did have either a DP28 or MG42 (can’t remember which) parts kit in a box he said he’s never got around to building. Maybe I can talk him out of it. 🤔😄

Or maybe I just stick with the 1919, and realize I’m dabbling a little out of my league budget wise. Haha

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Well, it only took 10 months, but looks like she’s done! Been fun learning experience. Members here helped a lot, especially members ABCB, and Toolmanm203. Ed and Russ, can’t thank y’all enough for your help.

Now just have a little fine tuning to do, and figure out how to make these Spade grips activate the trigger.

one thing that is out of the norm is that my headspace requires many more clicks out than the standard formula of closing the barrel extension into the trunnion, then backing off one to two clicks in order to properly headspace. I’m about 5 clicks out before it’ll let a round seat into battery. Seems to be working fine, and closes properly on a go/no-go gauge, but it’s odd.

Spent brass looks OK. Very minor bulging at the bases, but I’m not sure if that’s normal for this type of weapon.
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun
Automotive tire Gas Machine tool Machine Engineering

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
Congrats on getting it done (y) there is nothing like getting your first build done and firing it.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts