1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lurked for a while and finally reg'ed, so I thought I say hello to everyone.

I live in Kaliforneeya and believe it or not, the semi-auto 1919a4's are LEGAL here!!!!! :) Obviously this has piqued my interest in this historic firearm, so I'm exploring buying one or getting a kit. I'm leaning more towards buying a complete gun - more from the standpoint of any questions of legality. I'm confident that the major builders of these guns are a better way to go should I come under any unusual scrutiny.

Anyways I'm a fan of old mil-surp rifles and like to shoot the surplus 7.62x51 round because of its low cost (in comparison to other calibers).

If anyone has any tips or other information that might get me bump-started or information that I should be aware of, I?d appreciated your comments!

Thanks in advance ? and I hope to soon be in the ?ownership club? on a nice 1919a4.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
c322348 said:
http://shoot1919a4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79

You need to go to Lytle Creek on Saturday! (assuming you are in the LA area)
God, I wish (attending - NOT living in So Cal..) I'm in the Sacramento vicinity - and shoot more now because of a disabling injury to my lower back. But my trigger finger still works good -although the eyesight is fading fast:mad: ..

I just want to get "on board" the 1919a4 boat before this ship leaves port!:D

I have LOTS of 7.62x51 surp on hand after having to off a couple of rifles (one a Galil ARM:( ) due to state laws getting passed... I still have a FAL that shoots 1 MOA that I moved to storage in Reno (rather than dump it) because good rifles are hard to come by.

'preciate the welcome!:)

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Welcome, glad to have another member.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On board soon - real (sorta) soon...

I "pulled the trigger" so to speak this morning.... I bought an "Ohio Rapid-Fire" and it's on its way to my FFL dealer........

I'm buying the "A6" kit with bipod, stock, carry handle, and flash hider (but can't install the flash hider until I leave this sorry state)..:mad:

Also am picking up some extra barrels and found an M2 tripod for $350 (from a local source) - so I should be in like flint 10 days AFTER it reaches my FFL dealer.....

I got the "Ohio Rapid-fire", so I hope I did OK - as I'm a "newb" on the 1919a4.. Sorry I'm such an idiot - BUT I am committed and WILL learn!!!!:)

Are "used excellent" barrels OK?

·
Registered
380 Posts
fellow rapid fire 1919a4 owner

glad to have you on board. i am 57 years young and after
having shot many a milsurp over the years i decided to get
a 1919a4. i got one of rapid fire weapons from cdnn delivered
to my dealer for 1014.00 and then a 20.00 transfer. i also got
the a6 kit. you will like the weapon but first read as much as
you can about the function of these weapons. i had to reset
the headspace on mine to get it to run. i use used cloth belts
in mine and i have a way of loading them by hand and not
hurting my fingers. use good ammo, lube the moving parts, and
take it easy on the trigger for the first few times, check your
fired brass for separations but first read, read, read, and check
the headspace. orf weapons are just as good as anyone elses.
e-mail me if you have any questions and have SAFE fun. john

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks John! I'll be doing plenty of reading and will actually have it for a couple weeks before I'm ready to fire it. I'm waiting until I have it in hand before I buy the A6 conversion (CDNN was all out when I ordered). I'm picking up some A-zoom snap caps to familiarize myself with the operation of this gun BEFORE I actually take it out and fire it. I'm fortunate enough to own some remote acreage and have my own shooting range set up.

I have a friend who's a mil-surp parts dealer and fortunately he has extensive knowledge of the 1919a4. He told me that to stay CA legal I've got to use the metal links and cannot load belts over 10 rounds, or install the flash hider that comes with the A6 kit. I plan to try loading 8-round strips and keep some spare loose cartridges on hand to re-attach another strip to the last exposed link when firing.

I have a storage place in Reno where I have to keep my (once CA legal) FAL, so I plan to acquire some cloth belts to put into storage as I'm planning on moving out of Kaliforneeya upon retirement in the next year, so the restrictions on the belts & mounting the flash hider aren't a huge concern to me due to my impending departure from CA.

I'm only 45, but am in the middle of processing out of my job on a medical retirement due to a severe lower back injury, so I wanted to buy this gun since it will become all but impossible once I retire. I also feel that it will make for an excellent investment should the day come that I may have to sell it. My injury has taken away my ability to enjoy or participate in many of my other hobbies (like motorcycle riding and 4x4 off-roading), but thankfully I can still enjoy shooting sports and reloading. I?m also a HUGE fan of the .45-70 take-down lever action rifles and mostly have levers in my vault these days.

I can't say how glad I am to have found a forum dedicated to this particular gun, and I strive to one day become one of the more "contributing" members.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts