636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on frugals, and they look very nice.:D

translated page Link

German page Link

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I have to wonder who over there could legally own one. Would their police or military really be interested? Looks like the translator did a very literal translation and seems to have as much trouble with English as I do with German, but I get the jist of it. I wonder what it would cost to make them here in semi-auto or at least import some parts and make the rest here. On the other hand there probably would not be enough of a market to justify setting up to make them and a 16 inch barrel in an MP 40 wouldn't look quite right.

·
Registered
287 Posts
They actually manufactured MP38's with a longer barrel during the war. These were rather rare and they did not look right when compared side by side to a regular issue MP40.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Armorer said:
... Looks like the translator did a very literal translation and seems to have as much trouble with English as I do with German, but I get the jist of it. ...
The translation was done by one of those automated computer translation programs. There are a number of them out there, but all the ones I've seen do a job comparable to the one on this web page. A human would recognize that the translation didn't make sense - a computer doesn't.

But then ..... I've got a couple booklets/manuals that were translated by humans who obviously didn't speak the language they were translating into, and the results are similar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts