1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I’m looking for a reliable AK, a good shooter with a little bit of history. Rory said I might have some luck here.

Thanks,
Oscar

·
11,678 Posts
All, this is an old friend’s 18 year old son. He’s been borrowing and burrowing through my stuff for months.

I don’t have an extra AK but thought one of you might.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Hi everyone,

I’m looking for a reliable AK, a good shooter with a little bit of history. Rory said I might have some luck here.

Thanks,
Oscar
1) All AK's are reliable. Even the shittiest Egyptian Maadi will run better than an off the shelf AR.
2) History? Nope. It may LOOK like an AK but there are NO historically correct guns.
3) Century still sells a buttload of them, last I looked they were in the 600-800 range.

This is a BAD time to be looking for tactical guns. Prices are 4X value.

Have you considered a SKS? Its a better gun, cheaper and more available.

·
11,678 Posts
I’ll never understand why people like the sks. I’ve owned a few and they were all bad. Maybe just my bad luck?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I’ll never understand why people like the sks. I’ve owned a few and they were all bad. Maybe just my bad luck?
it must be, I've had my russian and chinese one for 25 years and both are very reliable from the first day I bought it to now.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
The SKS was the first military type weapon I ever owned...Whole lot of power for $75 bucks NIB ...I have owned over a dozen over the years in every configuration you could mod them , and was a gateway to all the military guns I have today...The SKS holds a special place in my hart as being vary reliable and a tool of a lot of great times...I still own 3......Rory, if you have owned a few and they all were bad , maybe it was you. 😋

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
Well I have more than a few of them but they all live in Pa. now thanks to our fearless leader. What price range are you looking in? As far as history I can give you some great stories to go with one no charge 😉 Welcome to the board by the way, you should stick around because it is the best site on the web with lots of great people.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the MAADI, except the paint. These were made on Soviet machines, and are the closest one can get to an ARM aside from a Soviet-made which are only available in cut-up kit form. The SA-85M has just as many paint issues, and is no better in function than the MAADI.

Some of the Century guns have "issues" including the bolt carrier bashing on the rear of the receiver. As well, even some of the Chinese guns have issues, one in particular (forgot the model number) wasn't properly heat treated and the pin holes egg.

That said, OP are you only wanting any AK? Then the least expensive route is a new Century, which you can "Buy Now" on GB for under $900. I have stored with my LGS / FFL a AK-101 Romy in .223 and an AK-104, but the prices are commensurate with today's price levels.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the MAADI, except the paint.
the only MAADI to stay clear away from is the MISR-90, that is abortion of a Chinese MAK-90 parts kit hacked onto a European dimension receiver.

That said, OP are you only wanting any AK? Then the least expensive route is a new Century, which you can "Buy Now" on GB for under $900.
yep, that is going to be your best bet, and count yourself lucky if you can even get it at 900, you picked the most worst time to be looking for a AK, what with the panic in full swing..................long gone are the days of 200 dollar AKs, the Romanian WASR is going to be the "cheapest" and function AK out there.........all others ie. Bulgarian are going to run you well over 1700 bucks some even are over 2K

·
11,678 Posts
My first wasr had that trigger slap of death. I had to wear two gloves to prevent bruised finger!

·
11,678 Posts
ive had chinese and i think 2 yugo? and none of them were reliable at all. jammed up all the time. i have heard sing the praises for years but just assumed it was people loving the cheapest semi auto on the market. garbage water i say!

·
Registered
15 Posts
ive had chinese and i think 2 yugo? and none of them were reliable at all. jammed up all the time. i have heard sing the praises for years but just assumed it was people loving the cheapest semi auto on the market. garbage water i say!
My biggest issue was trying to run any 30 round magazines with it....and mostly all magazines it came with and new ones rounds had to be loaded near perfectly otherwise it would jam...I suspected it was an alignment issue with the stock/magwell but this was also 12+ years ago so I have very little memory of it.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I am guessing that was your problem...I have a box full of 30rd SKS mags that are not worth the price of scrap metal...I have 2 out of 20 that work ...I have put the fixed 10rd mags back in the guns except for the Para SKS...I am holding out for one of those Chinese 20rd fixed mags to put in it. .Hoping one day to find one at a gun show or one to pop up on the boards.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
My biggest issue was trying to run any 30 round magazines with it....and mostly all magazines it came with and new ones rounds had to be loaded near perfectly otherwise it would jam...I suspected it was an alignment issue with the stock/magwell but this was also 12+ years ago so I have very little memory of it.
Respectfully, the SKS was never designed for 30 round magazines. Ive owned about 8 SKS's over the last 20 years, NONE of them ever had a single malfunction (unless I was trying a 30 round mag) . I try and tell people that the SKS is the Ford F150 of the gun world. It runs as is, dont go tying to turn it into something its not meant to be. (I only say this from experience, I installed on my first SKS a folding stock, a 30 round mag, then one of those super cool choate Dragunnov stocks, and eventually I put the wood back on it. )

The ONLY way an AK is superior to an SKS is volume of fire due to magazine size. well, and AK's look cooler.

Nomad, when this all blows over you can come visit and Ill give you 100 rounds of ammo and let you fire any of my SKS's just to restore your faith in them! 8*)

·
Registered
576 Posts
I’ve taken the crappiest of crap AK’s and with a little work made them more reliable than a AR ever thought about being. If you find a US manufactured AK be sure you research the company as there are a lot of issues with some of them. WBP rifles from Poland are supposed to be nice but I have no experience with any so I’m leaving it off my best list. My best AK list is:
1. Polytech China
2. Arsenal Bulgaria
3. Norinco China
4. Zastava Yugoslavia
5. FEG Hungary
6. Maadi Egypt
7. Cugir Romania

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I’ve taken the crappiest of crap AK’s and with a little work made them more reliable than a AR ever thought about being. If you find a US manufactured AK be sure you research the company as there are a lot of issues with some of them. WBP rifles from Poland are supposed to be nice but I have no experience with any so I’m leaving it off my best list. My best AK list is:
1. Polytech China
2. Arsenal Bulgaria
3. Norinco China
4. Zastava Yugoslavia
5. FEG Hungary
6. Maadi Egypt
7. Cugir Romania
And a rusty Chinese SKS will still perform better than all of the above. 8*)
All kidding aside, I really feel like the SKS and the Garand tie for the best rifles ever made.

·
Registered
576 Posts
And a rusty Chinese SKS will still perform better than all of the above. 8*)
All kidding aside, I really feel like the SKS and the Garand tie for the best rifles ever made.
I love all my SKS rifles, especially the Norinco M that takes AK magazines. My Tula SKS has the prettiest wood out of any gun I own.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts